EigenD Linux Build

Looks like EigenD pythoninstall has wx version 2.8.12.1, No idea about gtk.

I know on the Mac the EigenBrowser and EigenCommander no longer work. So you’re better sticking with Workbench.

Mark posted in 2016 on the Eigenlabs developers forum an invitation for others to help upgrade eigenBrowser and eigenCommander to the wxPython Phoenix API. Phoenix was the first of wxPython-4.0.x series. I didn’t find any follow-up information on whether or not that was achieved, hence my question.

No, I couldn’t get it working, i has various issues which i couldn’t track down , seemed mainly to do with threading and timing which I found very difficult to debug.

I’ve done various other experiments and tests for replacing eigenbrowser and eigencommander but never really had time/motivation to complete them, Partly because most of use have got around this by using workbench instead - and it’s a lot of work to get rewrite them.

Ugh. Debugging threaded real-time stuff can be a slow march into madness.

What needs be done can be handled between Workbench and Stage, from what I’ve so far seen of each. But windows aren’t popping up from the editing buttons on Stage’s Drummer tab. Inconvenient, so gets my first attention.

1 Like

Sorry to reanimate this corpse, but I’ll put this here in case it helps someone else. scanner0 seems broken on linux in community-2.1.7 (at least with python-2.7.18 which is the stock version in Ubuntu 22.04) but the workaround to prevent eigend from ever calling it (after you’ve run it for the first time and it hung and you killed it) is:

cp ~/.Eigenlabs/Plugins/plugins_cache_64 ~/.Eigenlabs/Plugins/plugins_cache
cp ~/.Eigenlabs/Plugins/bad_plugins_64 ~/.Eigenlabs/Plugins/bad_plugins

because it seems to be a little confused on the file naming somewhere.

There’s a similar naming problem with soundfonts, e.g. I had to do this to get the piano to load (a hint was in the logs):

(cd ~/.Eigenlabs/Soundfont && ln -s Black_Grand_Medium.sf2 'Black Grand Medium.sf2')

After that, I could more or less load a setup and get sounds to play, but there are quite a few problems that make it otherwise unusable (crashes, freezes, broken audio on cello/clarinet/synth, can’t browse for soundfonts via sampler buttons in stage, etc).

So… is anyone here regularly using eigend on Linux? I couldn’t find a branch, tag, or release of community-2.1.8 mentioned above. I do see a 2.2 branch in github. Not sure if I should go through the trouble of hand-building python-2.7.10 if it won’t make a difference.

Same problem using official python-2.7.10 :frowning:

this has been a known issue from the start , as far as I can remember… regardless of python version I tried.

the workaround detailed above, was only about how scanner failing would also cause eigend to hang, it was not a solution to scanner.