Embodme Erae Touch - now on kickstarter

Yepp, also think they won’t change anything (even though a USB host port would have been awesome. To be fair, it’s the instruments with synth engines (like ContinuuMini) that should technically add the host port, not the controller-only clients. But as this is conveniently left out often, it would be great to have it on this device).
My hope was that they might be willing to think about variations of the initial hardware design with a later delivery date for stretch goals. A version that is 3x wider, with usb host port and even with built in synth engine (EaganMatrix collaboration?) would imho be sooo much greater than 3x the current one (which nobody seems to have pledged for yet. Would instantly upgrade and think I wouldn’t be alone). But I understand if they don’t want to spread too widely.

So until further notice assuming “it is was it is” is probably most realistic expectation wise.

yeah… i think its also economics…
double the size -> double the cost -> 25% the customer base? (all numbers fictitious :wink: )

for me, at 500 euro for its size, its pretty good value… but at 800-900 for twice the size, I don’t think id be that interested - its a bit bulky, and a large price tag.

also… id say of those that want it bigger… there would be a split …
those that want it for drumpads (or a controller) might want it wider and longer, whilst those wanting it for a ‘keyboard like’ controller might just want it longer.

I agree about the synth engine… but then its a completely different product.
(e.g. Ive no idea how expressive-e are ‘revenue sharing’ with haken on the osmose)

Understandable. I have honestly no idea how many would be interested in a wider version. I just know that I’d want one :slight_smile: Would even trade height for width so the number of sensors (and perhaps price) might stay (for 2x width). But you have a point, different usecases, different preferences, probably.

2 Likes

Honestly, I think the keyboard/controller crowd would be happier with “same width, less height”. (eg, a Linnstrument)

I think for me, I’d probably divide the space into four columns and be fine with the current layout.

so still delayed, looking like April shipping… but given situation not surprising, and doing well.

new update, shows they have worked on one of the promised features… and api to get raw touch data and control the leds.
the api is via sysex, so thats cool as it makes it accessible to many more users.

i think really interesting, its a pretty large surface … and we have 42x24 rgb leds… so pretty lo-res, but also still useable for depicting shapes and regions.

3 Likes

Dust off midi sysex chops… building ideas, that is, I’m writing them down :wink:

2 Likes

yeah sysex is a bit of a band-aid, but oh so useful …

I’m so glad that Embodme did this, they had kind of ‘promised’ it, but it was always going to be a low priority feature (as it only interests a small minority ) , but presumably the delay in shipping gave them time to get to those ‘less urgent’ features…

which is great, since when they ship then will no doubt get inundated with requests :wink:

anyway, I wish them luck …
these delays/covid are causing economic difficulties for everyone, just hope everyone can hang in there… at least there is some light at the end of the tunnel now.

1 Like

I am late to the party, but not too late. I had to order one. It looks too interesting…
As there is the option to send it back if something is terrible, there is not much risk.
Its easier to get this into a plane than the LinnStrument and yet it will be very different as well, and customizable. The width of a Linn128, but much bigger range, as each row adds half an octave (I will set it to tritone tuning). Or I add some sliders and Pads on the top…
Now I get why guitar players tend to have multiple guitars in their arsenal…

2 Likes