Expressive-E Osmose Pre-Order

This also came to my mind about the upper black part

1 Like

Thanks Antonio ! and by the way, your Onde will ship tomorrow (or Monday if I don’t manage to solve a FedEx issue today)

2 Likes

exciting times - but a long patient wait ahead.

@Anckorage , your going to need to get your own special zone at SB next year, what with Onde, Continuum and now Expressive-E hats to wear all at once!

We’re splitting hairs.

It’s not exclusively a controller.
It’s not primarily a controller.
But it’s not not a controller.

In addition to the EagenMatrix, it has several modes to optimize for different styles of outside synth. I believe Pianoteq and Omnisphere are shown in that demo? This is a feature exclusive to controllers.

I have synths that are not controllers. And I have synths which don’t provide a controller. Osmose is far removed from either one of those categories.

It is an amazing synth.
And it is an amazing controller.
A thing can be both.

To my original point… When I got my first MIDI keyboard (a Korg DS-8, I think in 1989), I honestly believed that I would never purchase another piano style interface, because I could replace the sounds with outside modules. And that was laughably wrong. I have… so many.

That instinct persists, though. I buy something with a more capable control surface and think “that’s it. I don’t need anything else which has one. It’s just software and modules from here on out.”

And every time, it is that much funnier how wrong I am.

Perhaps I should clarify, I had already placed my pre-order before writing that.

1 Like

Cuckoo demos:

7 Likes

Lovely product from all I can tell, I pre-ordered as soon as I got beyond the website being overloaded for a while yesterday.

Summer seems a long way away, so I ordered a ContinuuMini so that I could learn EaganMatrix in the meantime :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I will watch and see. I see what they’re doing with the ‘steps’ thing for Y control, but I am not sure my keyboard chops will mesh with the function-space it offers. I remain cautious and I am not pre-ordering yet. New Year’s Eve is a long way away, and I have bills to pay…

Wondering if this will support the CVC (Continuum Voltage Converter). My modular would love that…

2 Likes

Word from Lippold on close Continuum FB group:

Yes, it will work with the CVC.
… and yes, it will support the micro-CVC from Evaton as well.

3 Likes

Thanks! I do wish the Continuum group wasn’t on FB - I’ve never been on FB and refuse to join (and feel better every day about taking that stand long ago). I miss out on a few things from this, but the only one that seems critical is Continuum insider info!

2 Likes

The max/msp group is also worthwhile!

*(heavily biased; I’m one of the moderators)

1 Like

The cost to expand from 2x DSP to 6X DSP on a Continuum is $740 US. This makes the Osmose somewhat of a bargain for those interested in the Eagan Matrix as a programming platform with its 6X DSP.

2 Likes

Very much agree with this. I think it’s a lousy platform for preserving the information, aside from the assortment of moral issues with the platform and it’s management.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing.
If you guys have any questions that I might be able to answer after one full day with the prototype, please tag me and I’ll do my best to keep up!

8 Likes

Hi @Cuckoo! First, thank you for the great video. Those were beautiful melodies and sounds.
I do have one question: When you “shift” a key left/right for pitch bending, what’s the maximum range you can go up and down using one key? From videos it looks like it goes +/- 1 semitone. Is it possible to bend +/- 2 semitones as well?

1 Like

intuitively, it shouldn’t be. So I’m guessing “not by default”.

But… the onboard synth is EagenMatrix, and EagenMatrix is very configurable, so the maximum bend range is probably several octaves, and you can probably set that on a preset by preset basis.

Not sure what kind of controls you have over this parameter as a MIDI controller, though.

1 Like

Hi @Cuckoo, thanks for stopping by; it shows your enthusiasm with Osmose, not only for something new but it’s “wrapping” the Eaganmatrix in a new form.

I see empty space on that table, did you by any chance combine Osmose+Continuum and played both off camera :wink: I’m not aiming for comparisons, just the mind set and how is it to play the Osmose…

1 Like

I’m not sure if it’ll be a global setting for this, or if it’ll have to be addressed per patch. I think it’ll be a setting actually. The EaganMatrix was built for the Continuum, and it receives the value of X = pitch. The Continuum has no concept of a key and pitch bend of that key. It’s just X. So the X value that the Osmose keybed is sending to the EaganMatrix probably already has the pitch bend embedded. What do you think @Anckorage ? There might already be a setting for this when playing the continuum from external devices. I haven’t checked actually.

I wanted to, but I was short on time. I think they could go very well together. The pressure sensation is similar, but different. Both have a mechanical structure, actually moving parts, and great control. Both have excellent control all the way from light action to the deepest action.

2 Likes

this is what you have available right now :wink:

4 Likes

The onboard knob+screen will allow a lot of configuration like le max pitch deviation on “X” but also the minimum depression of a key to triger a sound (it can really start from the very first touch). Mostly everything you can tune from my SpringSound IOS App will be accessible plus some dedicated paramater of the Osmose (controler behaviour, etc.)

4 Likes