Ideas for the EaganMatrix Module

Is this perhaps close to the approach with the Planar2 joystick (or some other hands on units from above): a smaller unit that can work as an instrument by itself with expressive CV control and f.i. the Seaboard, while still being able to fit in a larger context?

If I interpret your small system correctly. It looks to fit quite perfectly in a portable Pico case! :slight_smile:

And I agree, I really look forward to this too!

Yes, like a Planar2, but in a size that fits perfectly in the 4ms Pod40X case with the VCAs. The Eagan Matrix module has a very high spec for +5 (500ma), so be sure to get enough power for it. The latest 4ms pod supplies cover it. I actually also have a Planar2 in my large euro case that I plan to use with my Continuum and CVC in quad.

Richard Kram has begun uploading videos on the Haken Continuum Users Facebook group of the EMM being driven by a Linnstrument and some other CV and MIDI sources. Sounds promising.

1 Like

Hello, all!

I found this to be a very interesting project - the Bela Gliss module - and as it is just one day before the funding (they will become available again in May) I thought I’d post it here in case someone else thinks the same!

Perhaps it could have its’ own topic but it just seemed to be a fit here, and among many uses this is what I will probably use it for mostly! :slight_smile:

I decided to get the package of four of them - even though they cost a bit - but if that proves too many for the EMM it is quite easy to come up with uses for this. It seems very versatile and also immediate! :slight_smile:

as its been announced, I think its ok, for me to say, Ive been helping bela test the Gliss.

can’t give details, but what I can say its really nice, its much more sensitive than I expected, and the visual feedback is fantastic.
its an excellent module… the team have done a really good job of making it very usable ‘out of the box’.

yeah, cost is a bit of an issue.
I’ll be honest, I suggested to Bela the 4 pack, as I really wanted this too… and had planned to buy.
but price + vat + shipping (to Spain) pushed it a bit over the top for me, at nearly 600 euros for 4 :frowning:
(feel a bit guilty, after suggesting… so Im glad others like you did order :laughing: )

to be clear, it is worth the money…
each Gliss is not just a sensor/display, its also got a decent programmable mcu on it.
and this opens up so many possibilities.
(but unfortunately, for me, 600 euros, is still 600 euros!)

anyway, you will love it … its a great module.

and yeah, I do think its a great way to add ‘hands-on’ control to modular, including the Eagan Matrix.
(my main use has been with the Percussa SSP, where I wanted a bit more immediate control)

damn… you mentioning it again, makes me want to order it again !
(that said, doing so in the Eagan Matrix Module topic, reminds me Im very keen to order that too… so where do the $s go!)

1 Like

Well, as I seem to able to hold you responsible for me getting four of these, I think I can with good conscience say that I hope you also found a way get them! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I must say, though, I thought about this quite long and quite thoroughly, and I just made up my mind two days ago after having read about them in CDM in December. I live I Sweden, so also in EU.

But I would really like to use these with the EMM, and now you have confirmed what seemed to me as both high quality and overall versatility. My feeling is that the modules will fill a very original use for me, which is quite special. For me, I’d rather save on something else, if needed.

Regarding the EMM, I am very happy with it. For me, the most interesting aspect of it is that it really invites combinations of playing, sequencing, modulation, intuition and strict order in a very natural and simple way. Often in the same patch/preset at the same time, which brings out new aspects and characteristics in them. The larger Continuum does not do that in the same way, at least for me.

But what is also true is that an already expensive instrument becomes even more expensive like this. The playing surface(s), modules like Gliss, a sequencer, whatever else is included in the musical idea of the moment.

I build my small system focused around the EMM so it stays manageable, but I do notice the mind often wanders in new directions! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Im sure you will like the Gliss, they are very nice… and provide the much needed hands-on aspect to Eurorack.

for me… yeah, the Eagan Matrix module is very likely…
(though not obtainable in EU currently, at least last time I looked)

also I just got the Osmose, and the one thing it ‘lacks’ is audio input, so actually, the EMM would fullfil this role, and being in my rack is exactly where Id want it.

the Gliss + EMM, will indeed be a cool combo indeed.

though, I do have a ‘number’ of expressive controllers, midi->cv , also a Bela Salt + Expansion, so I have a way to get a similar thing going… including programming.
(and , I do have one GLISS :wink: )

however, its a compromise…
pros:
I save some $$$, bigger surfaces
cons:
a touch more latency, not ‘in the rack’ , more configuration etc.

one thing that Ive not tried with gliss yet, that’ll I think will work well with the EMM…
using gliss as an exciter.

if you have seen people using ears->rings, you’ll get the idea… its very popular, as its feels very dynamic… and of course, EM has this possibility too - but can do much more.
(hmm, I do have a rings here… so I could try gliss->rings)

2 Likes

That is a really nice idea! I have not thought about this myself at all, although I have wondered about the pattern on the module.

I was - quite a while ago - reading about Ears but the surface to interact with seemed quite small and I had no immediate ideas of how to use it, so I let it rest. This is a contact mic, is that correct? So the interaction with the grooves of the surface gets picked up and translated into CV.

In Gliss, the surface pattern is just a 50/50 smooth distribution between capacitive sensors and transparent PCB to see the lights, if I understand correctly, so it does not affect the sensitivity (like the grooves of a Linnstrument, e.g.). So this - when it comes to tactility - would work differently.

I just became a parent in November, so it is just now I have started to manage coherent thoughts besides the small one! :slight_smile:

So I have had moments to read and digest the texts but just skimmed through the videos (the wave shaping part in the dev diaries had some interesting parts). Would the exciter concept work with one of the standard firmware modes? Or would it require original programming?

If you DO have time to test Gliss and Rings (which you very well may not), I would be very curious to hear a comment about it! :slight_smile:

gave this a go :slight_smile:

indeed, you can use touch size or position to feed IN on rings… so the theory works.

however, the output on Gliss is very clean, so you don’t get the same effect as a contact mic.
… where the impurities, provide the ‘texture’.

so what I did, is instead
plaits → vca (in) → rings (in)
gliss → vca (cv)

this was where the run really starts… basically you can then use touch size or touch position to then open the vca - and important, gliss is responsive enough to make this feel very direct.
different signals from plaits (noise, oscillators etc) give very different fx.
of course, the next step, is chuck this into beads, and you open up a very large soundscape,
that begs to be played with… altering plaits/rings settings create some really dramatic results.

what nice, is not doing things this way, your not only getting a strike, but your also able to continuous sounds, depending on if you tap.

(you can also strum rings with gliss… but I preferred the above)

I then tried replacing Rings with Elements… this felt even better, not sure why, perhaps just how I had it setup!?

there is another possibility I didn’t try… there is a scale/offset mode.
using this mode, I think we could remove the vca , so do plaits → gliss (in) → rings (in)

anyway, back the EMM, as thats what this topic is about :slight_smile:

you could obviously do the same trick plaits → gliss (in)-> emm (in)

however, probably what I would do is send the gliss signal into the audio in. (so its audio rate)
then multiply the audio in by a signal source e.g. noise, then going into a biqbank
… obviously take a LOT of care with levels, as this can easily blow your ears/speakers :laughing:
but I think it’ll be very ‘organic’

1 Like

Well moderated! :slight_smile:

And thanks for your thoughts on this, I am looking forward to May! :slight_smile:

1 Like