KMI K-Board Pro 4

When I backed the Kickstarter for the K-Board Pro 4, I originally ordered two units, one with handles and one without. I really loved the design with handles and was looking forward to it, but I understood that the design without would be more compact, and at the time, I had the money for a bigger backing…

Three years later, KMI had to kill the version with handles because of insuperable technical issues with getting it to work properly, and they fulfilled my pledge with two identical K-Board Pro 4 units. I don’t need two, so I am selling one. It comes in the Kickstarter-only road case and has never been used. I am asking for way less than a new one will cost you. Please PM me if you’re interested.

1 Like

Hi greaterthanzero!
Do you still have problem with the stuck Bb note or the issue has been solved?
I want to buy this unit but your comment is the second one that I found in the web mentioning problem with stuck notes.
Cheers!
//Alex

I’ll have to check. I loaned mine to a friend for several months, but got it back just before quarantine. Wanted to give it some time before touching the surface, but it’s been sitting in the garage long enough.

I will say, I haven’t contacted KMI about that. My plan is to update the firmware and see if that self calibrates the problem away. If that doesn’t work, I can ask if it’s a mechanical issue and see what they recommend. We shouldn’t assume that this is unresolveable.

Thanks for your fast response!
If it is a mechanical issue it can be more difficult to solve but on the other hand, if it is something related to the firmware there is a good chance to solve the issue with an update.
My guess is that the silicone material in the keys continues to press the sensor after depressing the key. we will see.
Thanks once again!
//Alex

Right. But the question is why that’s happening. Is something warped, or not sitting in the correct orientation? Are the support beams of a keyboard stand creating uneven pressure from below that a flat table would not? Lots of possibilities.

Hi,
Finally I could test a K-board Pro 4 here in Sweden through a friend’s friend. I don’t know if this issue affects all units but this one suffered the same problem with stuck note (in this case a C) that has been mentioned here and in other YouTube video. We tested the unit in different surfaces with same results. Last firmware was installed.
After a very near analysis we can affirm that silicone in keys continue to press the sensor after finger depress. Of course that this conclusion is not self-evident but the behavior of this key shows a very clear relation between the silicone-sensor and stuck notes.
For this reason this controller is a no-go for me. Expending this amount of money I am expecting to get a reliable instrument.
Cheers!
//Alex

1 Like

Hello everyone,

My apologies for not having been a part of this discussion sooner, we’ve had our hands full during the pandemic and are only now coming up for air.

K-Board Pro 4 recently had a firmware and editor v1.3.1 update adding some new features, including improved Poly Aftertouch in non MPE mode, inversion of Y and Z axis, and some optimizations and bug fixes. If you haven’t checked it out yet, please do, we hope it improves your playing experience.

Also Marc Melià just released an amazing performance with KBP4, link below.

To address a few points mentioned in this thread:

• The X pitch bend - the default configuration has sliders 3 and 4 controlling pitch bend range and pitch bend “return time” respectively. This may seem bizarre at first, but what we have found is that control of pitch is one of the biggest hurdles when exploring MPE. This is true of fretless analog instruments, it requires a good ear and very practiced control of the instrument to stay in tune and not sound like a dying cat. By implementing a “return time”, we make it easier to treat per note pitch bend as a vibrato effect while also making it easier to land on and sustain a centered pitch. When you set slider 4 all the way to the right, return time is disabled, and you can now hold the pitch bend for as long as you want. We also offer relative and absolute pitch bend modes, which are selectable in the editor. Pitch bend is a subject worthy of it’s own thread, but feel free to ask questions and I will try my best to respond in a timely manner.
  • The handles - Mrspiral’s account is correct, but the other consideration was cost. The aluminum frame is one of the most expensive parts of the instrument, and as you all noticed, the price ended up a bit higher than expected even after removing the handles.
  • The cost - Hopefully the mods don’t mind me mentioning this, but we are running a $100 instant rebate in the month of March, and have factory refurbished units (most from NAMM and video demos) available on our website for $699.
  • Issues with stuck or insensitive keys - this should definitely not be the case. In the advanced tab in the editor, you can adjust the sensitivity of the keys down to each sensor. If you’re having issues with keys, give this a shot, and if you’re still having issues please create a support ticket through our website and mention that you’re from polyexpression.com and Eric sent you, and we will expedite a solution. One thing I will add here is, if the aluminum frame gets bent (perhaps it fell off the postman’s truck?) this can cause issues with the piezo-resistive fabric beneath the silicone keys, so one thing to check is that your frame is level when placed on a flat surface.

Cheers!

3 Likes

I think I already made a “scratch my previous opinions” post a while back on this one, but that’s worth repeating. Or rather, the K-Board Pro is worth revisiting.

Today, I updated the firmware and tested again on a level flat surface. Not sure which factors contributed (as my past tests were a long time ago), but I’m not seeing stuck notes at all anymore. This is good.

(I think the default threshold was probably increased on the pressure sensors to make that fix. It feels like a more deliberate press is required than it might once have had. But I may be imagining that, in trying to reconcile the change. Regardless, it took very little time to get used to)

I’ll also add that, not trying to second-guess the factory presets today, I found them to be sensible and well programmed, and it doesn’t feel nearly as important to dive into the editor. I’ll attribute that to post-launch refinements and listening to user feedback.

I mean, it’s an opinionated controller, and I do hold contrary opinions on a lot of subjects. It requires letting go of the whole “continuous slide between keys” mindset, and really facilitates focusing more on the Y axis, which I usually disable. But if you play to its strengths, or if those play to yours, it’s actually quite good.

4 Likes

I sold mine after a few months. I couldn’t get used to the playing surface which ultimately reminded me of a laminated countertop.