The Future Is Now • Discussion of MIDI 2.0 Capability Inquiry

Looks like I was two or three years premature in saying that.

The last question is promising, though. He suggests that development boards and software should finally become available to indie developers in about two months. Which, again, I think is the first step towards MIDI 2.0 progress becoming in any way comparable to MPE’s adoption.

4 Likes

I’m curious about the new MIDI 2.0 features, which we’ll also come to find out more about in June or so.

1 Like

@greaterthanzero AMENOTE

This was really good news!!! Thank you for reposting…

2 Likes

1st!!

3 Likes

yeah, this is quite interesting… best part is this video.

I will say I do think some of it is ‘hot air’…
(and a marketing opportunity for both embodme and midi association)
being 2.0 ‘ready’ and using the 2.0 UMP internally whilst a good step is a long way from being able to interoperate with other 2.0 devices/hosts… e.g. they don’t have the 2.0 transport, or things like CI.

the interviewer (from midi association) even reminds us there isn’t even an agreed ‘mpe profile’ for midi 2.0 yet - so we are not that close.

unfortunately, midi 2.0, still seems to be suffering from ‘design by committee’, and we all know that often that not only leads to ridiculous timescales, but also to a ‘product’ that is often irrelevant before its completed :laughing:

oh well… I hope the midi association proves me wrong, we really need a newer protocol, the cracks on the wallpaper (of midi 1.0) have been showing for years - we need to move onwards and upwards/

2 Likes

MIDI 2.0 got revised and the updated spec only got released in recent weeks.

Work on Windows support for such things is ongoing too.

This sort of news comes up in the following forum due to the participation of someone close to the action at Microsoft: https://gearspace.com/board/showpost.php?p=16537481&postcount=164

Embodmes use of the term MIDI 2.0 in their marketing did cause me to comment both over here in a different thread, and over there, in recent days.

1 Like

not got time to go thru, but a quick scan of it, looks pretty similar to what Microsoft talked about at the JUCE conference a couple of months back.
it was really clear there, how far behind Microsoft/Windows was to Apple/macOS…
but overall it was good news (for windows users) , as they finally, look like they are creating something similar to Apple’s CoreMidi (about time!)

and yeah, the midi 2.0 specs are quite frequently being ‘revised’, but in fairness so were the midi 1.0. though obviously the 1.0 stuff is much more 'fine tuning/clarification due to its maturity.

anyway, as per the above video, really the next big step is full OS adoption, and then waiting for all the major DAWs to support in a meaningful way… as this is where we see most advantages start to emerge from adoption … but thats going to take a while.
(look at how long it took for Ableton to support MPE … and that was likely much easier!)

1 Like

With the signoff and publication of the “final” MIDI 2.0 spec, Microsoft has opened the repo for the new MIDI 2 stack for Windows: microsoft/MIDI: Windows MIDI Services (github.com).

Given what I see in the repo, I think their timelines are ambitious. However, I think it’s at least a great plan for the design of the system, solving many of the issues where Windows lags. I hope that doing it as open source will work out well, and not simply be a sign of desperation for free development effort. Hopefully AMENote is getting funded well enough to deliver and things don’t get bogged down in backward compatibility.

Far from complaining on the side, I’m enlisted in the repo, and might lend a hand when I can, perhaps on the documentation side. We’ll see how that goes.

The other part is not MIDI, but if/when Windows will do similar improvements to the Audio stack.

3 Likes

I went back and read Pete Brown’s blog announcement more carefully and he explains why much of the repo looks kind of empty. Some of the other teams working on the project are delivering chunks out of private repos into the public repo at their milestones, so we should see large chunks suddenly appear at intervals.

2 Likes

Cubase 13 is delayed because the company handling the online store went bankrupt. But, some store leaked the new features by accident. And one of them is:

" MIDI 2.0 - With support for high resolution velocity, CC, aftertouch, pitch bend, and poly pressure data, Cubase 13 is ready for the widespread adoption of MIDI 2.0."

3 Likes

Korg is following :wink:

5 Likes

As is the MIDI Association!

MIDI 2.0 -The Future Of Music Is Now

You know what’ll get the kids hyped about this?
Powerpoint.

1 Like