Artiphon Orba (just launched on Kickstarter)

New thing from Artiphon is priced well, looks capable.

2 Likes

That dog slurping on it at the end was cool :stuck_out_tongue:

This is a pretty good interview.

1 Like

“They are the first generation to grow up knowing they could make any sound on a laptop or phone, so they don’t worry about whether they know how to play an instrument or not, and they don’t think of music in terms of the outdated guardrails of mass-market genres.”

Hm, perhaps a question of granularity. If somebody knows how to press play on a smartphone to replay a song of their liking the word “make” is perhaps a little far stretched. Still chosing the right song for the right moment can be a tiny little inventive. Next step might be DJing, then composing songs from loops, triggering samples from a controller, playing a granular synth with an expressive controller etc.
Even if the first probably isn’t “making music”, the latter definitely is, so somewhere in that spectrum it has to start.

Perhaps this thing helps a few to get a few steps further from consumption to making? If yes, then this might be good.
For most other instruments it probably doesn’t matter which one you choose regarding reachable depth, you can dedicate your life to one instrument and still have something new to learn in front of you. Not sure how that is with this thing. And what happens if the ceiling is reachable. “This is it? Meh, making music sucks” or “cool, which instrument next?”.
Perhaps this is deeper than it looks though and one could dedicate a life mastering it? A little bit hard to judge from the demos…

1 Like

I don’t foresee wanting to use this in place of other controllers, but in addition to. I guess I see it in a class of accessories, perhaps like the Expressive E Touché.

1 Like