Critter and Guitari Organelle


Im a big fan of the C&G Organelle, anyone else interested in it?

its a great portable synth, which can run pure data patches which can support MPE,
and Ive also ported by MEC application over to it, so I can use the Soundplane and Eigenharp with it.

my favourite combo however, is the Organelle with an Eigenharp Pico, as the Pico is pretty much the same size as the Organelle - is a small/lightweight combo, and is very cute…

you’ll find quite a few videos on my youtube channel, but here is i think the first I made…

the next step for me with the Organelle, and expressive control is integrating MPE into Orac, my open source modular project based on Pure Data… more on that later :wink:



Makes me want to finally break down and pick up the Organelle. Your patches and ORAC looks great.

1 Like


I’ve been away from Pd for several months, but the last time I looked there wasn’t a standard object to do MPE dispatch. (I was actually in the process of writing one in Lua/luapd when I got distracted.) Is there such a thing now? If so, just an Organelle thing? Do some of the Organelle library patches support MPE?



There is no explicit support for MPE as far as I know (unlike Max), perhaps someone has done an abstraction - again don’t know, as I found it very easy to add anyway.

at the heart of it , all you do is use midi channel, as the voice id in place of [poly] (which you’d normally use for voice allocation) … there are a couple of other ‘tricks’, but thats the essence for a simple MPE implementation.

you can see an example how I did it with my MI Braids patch for Organelle (used in above video)

… in the I above created a couple of ‘helper’ abstractions.
(oh dont be fooled by the poly in the above patch, that is only used for playing the organelle keys, non-ape, alongside the MPE implementation)

anyway simple stuff… hence why I want to add it too Orac.

a few notes:

  • this approach can be use on most things, Ive done the same for Max (before MPE support) and also Reaktor - they all follow a similar model.
  • the organelle uses pd 46 by default, but with newer versions of PD we have clone, which makes this all a little less ‘clunky’
  • I think the above video uses MPE, it could be using my OSC variant… as Ive also implemented the T3D OSC protocol, from madrona labs , into MEC :slight_smile:


Yeah, when I started on MPE in Pd, I just automatically started writing dynamic voice allocation – one of the reasons for using luapd. (Also I just like Lua.) I don’t think I even thought of the channel == voice scheme until I finally realized that’s why Aalto wasn’t working for me; it also uses that scheme, and it was fine after I matched the expected channels on LinnStrument. Still, I rather not futz with that every time I use a synth with a different voice count.

My MPE object is a preprocessor to the clone object. On Organelle, is it possible/hard to update it to use 0.47+? And I gather luapd is an available object?

1 Like


sure, Ive compiled PD 0.49 for organelle, Ive supplied to C&G, and will push for it to be in the next OS update.
(the issue is we don’t really want organelle users on different PD versions, as that’ll mean some patches wont work for some users)

luapd, should be no issue, might need compiling for arm, but given lua works on arm without issue, should not be a problem.

yeah, the voice allocation I mention is just the simplest approach,
you don’t have to use this, if you want dynamic allocation that’s possible too… simply send the midi channel into [poly] to get a voice number, rather than note, then use that for route (or whatever)

the only thing this lacks, is multiple notes on one midi channel which is allowed by MPE, but frankly is of ‘limited use’ imo … but even that is not that difficult to implement.