Dexed new update... initial support for MPE performance

https://asb2m10.github.io/dexed/

6 Likes

Very cool! Will have to see whether it’s possible to transfer presets from a real DX7 to Dexed. The pre-owner of my DX7 was quite creative when it comes to sound design, it came with several cardridges full with presets. E.g. one cardridge alone for breath controller sounds. Could be neat for the Eigenharp!

2 Likes

Oh! That’s good to know, never too much presets and good sounds :wink:

From what I’m reading, it can listen for SysEx dumps and save you the trouble of making .SYX files externally. But using that method, users can’t seem to make it accept more than one patch at a time.

(I believe the .SYX files can import whole 32 patch cartridges all at once)

All of which being said, it’s entirely likely my info is outdated and ill informed.

1 Like

Can’t see much options for mapping poly aftertouch and vertical slide aka “cc74”

Dexed supports midi learn. You can map any parameter to any CC. That covers cc74. I don’t see any way to support after touch.

that’s probably a global, non-mpe midi learn. There’s a couple of modulation destinations for aftertouch in the preferences dialog.
I guess I just expected too much - after all, they would have to create a whole modulation system to make mapping expressive data really work. At least pitch slides are working, so thanks to them for that)

1 Like

I haven’t had any luck with this one. Near as I can tell, the standalone app is at 0.9.5, as expected (but I can’t resize that to fit on my screen). The VST in that same file, however, is still 0.9.4 (and thus does not have MPE).

~ shrug ~

Has anyone managed to make the VST work on OSX?
I just re-downloaded a month later, and am still seeing 0.9.4!

Crazy.

EDIT:
That is just VST. AudioUnit version matches the runtime.

…meaning, it’s 0.9.5, but scaled to ridiculous dimensions that won’t fit on my screen, which I can’t adjust.

0.9.6 is out !!

• Apple Silicon M1 builds
  • Fix VST3 automation issues
  • Fix to apply UI scaling only when applicable
  • Fix hang notes on program changes
3 Likes

I haven’t installed the new version yet, but I’m excited for this to not be broken.

(I’ve been unable to use 0.9.5 for six months. The UI scaling fix ought to finally resolve that.)

1 Like

Hi everyone. New here on this forum. Found it while I was looking for info on Dexed and MPE.

Has anyone actually managed to get Dexed to work as an MPE instrument? I am on an M1 laptop running Live 11 and have just tried playing the Dexed with a Sensel Morph. No luck. I mean, yes the notes are being triggered, but I cannot even get the pitchbend to work. Yes, MPE is on in dexed, pitchbend range is set to 96, and yes the settings on the Morph are correct. :slight_smile:

Thanks
Korhan

Your morph settings aren’t in question. I’d double check the rest.

• right-click on the plugin itself and ensure that MPE is enabled by Live.

• open the plugin and click “params”. In the bottom-right corner, ensure the MPE switch is on. Set the range to wherever you like.*

• close the params screen and immediately re-open it. Confirm that the MPE switch is still on. (don’t neglect this step – it’s probably turned off now.)

• You should now have pitch bend, but everything will sound wrong. Correct this by going to the top-left corner, and making the pitch bend “up” and “down” range match your bend range.

*(Live assumes 48 for MPE synths and controllers, as this is basically the standard now.
96 stretches twice as far, but at half resolution so you’ll probably hear stepping. I personally like everything at 24, as that more than covers the distance I’m ever likely to bend, and it sounds pretty smooth. But again, Live assumes 48, and your default settings in the piano roll reflect that.)

Hey thank you very much for replying and yes, enabling MPE for dexed in Live did the trick! I’m new to using MPE inside Live and didn’t even know one needs to do this.

Best,
Korhan

And now another question: what can I control with MPE other than pitch on Dexed? From what I’ve read here, I have the impression that pitch is the only thing that’s controllable.

Most MPE synths, you don’t have to. Basically, wherever Ableton knew to do so, they flipped a switch and made it select that automatically. I guess word of the new Dexed updates hasn’t reached them.

I get that same impression.

Really, the only documentation we have is the “added initial support for MPE performance” bullet point in 0.9.5’s release. And that this feature was added by the Surge Synthesizer Team.

I guess we’ll have to wait and see if they build upon MPE and fix the bugs, too!

1 Like

Short update: I’ve purchased a Kodamo EssentialFM. Fantastic FM synth with endless polyphony, crazy envelopes, a lot of modulation and MPE (and a USB Host port for connecting controllers directly). Highly recommended for FM synthesis enthusiasts. In case the touch screen puts you off, it is very fast and responsive.

You can control whatever you want with MPE.

It would still be cool if Dexed improved upon their MPE functionality though.

For all of its shortcomings, Dexed is still priced a lot closer to what I can afford.

Hi,

I didn’t mean to show off my new expensive shiny synth - which, compared to many other synths, is quite reasonable priced for what it can do. Was just sharing the fact that there is a hardware FM synth that sounds good and has MPE.

Playing experimental music is my job. I have to have the tools that I can depend on and do not have to wait for months until someone decides to fix problems. :slight_smile:

2 Likes