Dreadbox Nymphes with MPE and polyphonic aftertouch

https://www.dreadbox-fx.com/nymphes/

Hello, all!

Yannis Diakoumakos of Dreadbox mentioned in an email that MPE and polyphonic aftertouch is ready (coming out of beta testing) for the Nymphes synthesizer.

I just happened to ask, I was writing in another matter. :slight_smile: The Firmware v2 will hopefully be releases next week.

So this may be something to look out for, just thought Iā€™d mention it! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Here we go! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This looks really nice!
Unfortunately another instance of the pattern ā€œsynth without USB host portā€. This makes setups unnecessarily complicated, as most USB-based MIDI controllers are also USB clients.
But at least it has DIN MIDI. Might be fun, e.g. for a minimalistic Linnstrument setup!

2 Likes

I will always have a laptop at the center of my setup, but mineā€™s a ten year old laptop at this point, so itā€™s still nice to offload my synths to hardware when possibleā€¦

1 Like

What are the reasons behind this pattern do you think?

Is it a question of component cost or relative trickyness to design and develop? Or is it about expected use cases, where e.g. most musicians are expected to naturally have hub or laptop/tablet/phone in their way of creating and working? Something else, maybe, or a combination of factors.

Do you mean that it is nice to have hardware synths generate the sound while the laptop handles other things while still at the center?

(Edit: I see now that this a reply to NothanUmber and not a general comment. So I just assume then that it is a criticism of lack of usb host features. Sorry, my misunderstanding!)

Personally, I tend to appreciate the computer for environments where you can create more or less anything with one very small thing. Open tools with no particular (preset) limits.

In a similar (or maybe opposite) sense I really like, for instance, hardware synthesizers as self contained objects. To consider their limits, put them together with other ones and learn specificities to find new ways through. This, I find, often spurs unexpected conclusions about what to actually use them for! Especially if they at face value are simple and focused.

It occurs to me while writing I donā€™t appear to really have a center. Maybe I really should. :slight_smile:

Perhaps there should be a topic about process somewhere around here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hm, probably itā€™s convenient that USB clients can rely on the host for power, so no further power supply is needed. And afaik it is simpler to implement a client than a host. And when connecting it to a computer a client is more convenient.
But (beside @greaterthanzero case with the aging notebook) if there is a computer in the setup already anyways, imho a lot of the appeal of an extra hardware synth goes away. Many really great softsynths, one box less.
But perhaps the people who want to play a synth live with a controller instrument are the minority by now and most make beats with Ableton&Co? No idea, not my world :slight_smile:

1 Like

hmm interestingā€¦

the USB device port for power ,
I think is to simplify thingsā€¦ basically you need to supply a PSU, and the regional implications that has !

Iā€™m a little surprised it support midi over itā€¦ must have a small MCU in there.
but yeah, its kind of an odd choice, perhaps more ā€˜oh, we can do itā€™ā€¦ rather than a deliberate design choice :wink:

USB host, is kind of separate from USB device - so may be theyā€™d have need a different MCU to have supported it? and then of course the actual port itselfā€¦

there are various USB host devices around now, that could be used to bridge this to other hardware (without a computer) and you can also build one cheaply with something like an Arduino.

in that vain,
actually, looking at my setup USB device is actually more useful than USB Host.
I could plug the Nymphes directly into my iConnectivity mioXMā€¦
and then its ā€˜availableā€™ to the keyboards/controllers/sequencers that are also plugged into it.
(without a computer)

thats a bit more useful , than needing to plug a keyboard directly into the synth ā€¦

so perhaps thats the kind of use-case they have in mind?

3 Likes

I think it may be deliberate.

It seems that this synthesizer was designed to keep many things to a minimum but preserve/provide as much functionality as possible still. Both in order to handle component shortages but mostly - I think - to keep the instrument small and to a fairly cheap price.

In this case the USB would be to have a way for MIDi OUT. There is only one 3.5 mm jack for MIDI IN.

This keeps in line with other choices in the instrument, much functionality but through back doors:

• quite a few editable parameters but through shift functions and a compact set of controls (or a separate MIDI controller).

• mono audio, but stereo would be kind of possible with an external effect, f.i. stereo reverb. I think their other popular synth, the Typhon, works like that but has effects built in.

• only midi in through TRS but midi out possible through USB.

• no screen but there has apparently been a third party software editor developed.

All in all, I think that is a fair approach. Regarding a hub, I think that this may be an expected workflow. It feels like a synthesizer you use in context with other things, not the least a keyboard or something like it. I think I also remember Yannis saying something like ā€˜just use a USB hub and youā€™ll be fineā€™ at some point. :slight_smile:

1 Like