EaganMatrix Module

2 Likes

Iā€™ve just realised this is also true for the Osmoseā€¦ it also doesnā€™t have any audio inputā€¦
doh, I really didnā€™t need any more temptation on this :wink:

one thing, Im trying to get my head around more generally here isā€¦
what benefit does the Eagan Matrix gain from being within Eurorackā€¦ or more specifically, how does CV (input) control benefit it?

whatā€™s your thoughts?

for meā€¦

• a non-eurorack useful feature, is being able to hook up another mpe controller, the Erae Touch is staring at me begging :wink:

• w/x/y/z
    are these considered an ā€˜extra voiceā€™ for a patch , or offsets for all voices? Im guessing the former, so that your modular could play a voice - which could be fun, albeit monophonicā€¦
    I think perhaps most fun I can see here is with the audio inputā€¦

• i-iv
    almost feels like this is where its at ā€¦ having your rack modulating a racks parameters.
    I know these are at ā€˜control rateā€™, but Id hope/assume these are going to be high resolution (10+ bit+) rather than 7 bit midi (though perhaps barrels support 14 bit midi ?) - either way, modulating/syncing from your rack is always going to add some interesting possibilities.

still no news on when orders (esp, in EU) might be completed?
It appears Schneidersladen (and I guess other EU suppliers) want the payment now for pre-orders, so feels kind of pointless if we are months away from shipping.

and frankly, if its not going to turn up before my Osmose (which Im guessing will be Dec/Jan), then Id probably wait till Iā€™ve played with thatā€¦ and see how that pans out with with my other MPE controllers.

1 Like

You can casually sequence its parameters independently, with whatever control sources you might have available.

Itā€™s considered the primary control layer for a monophonic voice.

(Weā€™re projecting polyphonic use cases, because thatā€™s who we are. But thatā€™s the part considered ā€œextraā€.)

Exactly. Human control through w/x/y/z, additional inputs (sidechains, LFOs, sequences, S&H, etc) through i-iv.

(You have an SSP, so you can already experiment with that idea. Itā€™s fun; I can confirm that much.)

I believe those are paraphonic controls.
They can probably be configured within a given patch to route to individual voices, but theyā€™ll be more useful and predictable the other way.

The barrels arenā€™t a bottleneck. At that point of entry, whatā€™s received is an analog control voltage. Bits arenā€™t a consideration until you hit the DAC. (And then, youā€™re dealing with floating point numbers at whatever precision itā€™s able to reliably produce. I wouldnā€™t expect noticeable stepping, but 10+ bits might be unrealistic.)

I guess the key hereā€™s that MIDI is converted to whatever theyā€™re interpreting CV as. CV is never translated back to MIDI.

1 Like

To someone considering the EaganMatrix rack, here are my ideas, based on using the Continuum:

If I were to get this module, Iā€™d either set up a controller, or a generative sequencer and some modulation, as my CV source, and use the EaganMatrix rack first as a mono voice. Iā€™d start with:

-Pitch CV to EaganMatrix x input
-Timbre CV to y
-Volume CV to z, envelope or continuous pressure not velocity
-Gate to w

And then Iā€™d just start flipping thru presets on the rack, with the editor open on a laptop (in the now-default simplified ā€œperformance viewā€ rather than the full complex matrix view that you see in most videos). i-iv inputs will be quite different for every patch, but itā€™s usually pretty self explanatory between the labeling and patch notes in the editor (which is live, so if you change a preset on the hardware, or an input changes value, youā€™ll see it reflected in the editor immediately).

Then, when I found a preset I liked, Iā€™d glance at the editor to see which synth parameters the inputs i-iv are controlling for that preset (and how theyā€™re scaled, are they continuous values or discreet steps etc. In the default simplified editor view, this is very straightforward info to parse), and then Iā€™d try plugging some appropriate sources for those functions into the i-iv inputs.

Then, Iā€™m thinking there will be a bank of audio processing presets arranged especially for the module, so Iā€™d try those using an external Euro voice thatā€™s patched into the EM rackā€™s analog audio inputs. Iā€™d keep my favorite x, y, z & w sources patched in for this. My starter arrangement, suggested at the top, is just my idea of an ā€œinitā€ setup, but xyzw can be assigned to everything in the matrix, including to act on the audio inputs.

And then, Iā€™d open up the full matrix view of the editor, and explore modifying existing presets, and then making my own.

Anyway, based on the Continuum, thatā€™s my mental model for how Iā€™d proceed with the rack, if I didnā€™t have the Continuum. I donā€™t see a need for both at this time, though Iā€™d rather have the rackā€™s analog vs the Continuumā€™s digital audio inputs.

On some patches itā€™s really nice to smoothly vary the y input in just the right way that brings out the acoustic instrument quality of the sound. On another patch x and y together make up a harmonic layout, so y is mapped out as discreet harmonics of each x value, while x is still continuous pitch spectrum. There is a patch where y sends one of only two values, switching at its midpoint. Thereā€™s a patch where x isnā€™t assigned to pitch. There are patches where z does volume and brightness and who knows what else. There are patches that sound completely different depending upon whether you play z (or sequence it) with a percussive envelope shape vs a smooth and gentle touch. I mean itā€™ll sound like a drum if you finger drum it, and itā€™ll sound like a stringed instrument if you ease into it, on the same preset. So, itā€™s not as simple as x means this, y means that, always the same. And even when they do mean what they often mean, the shape and scale of the CV can make a patch sound like a 2 different patches. So, if you switch controllers or a different sequencer, even if you keep the same assumptions (x=pitch, z=volume shape etc), you might wonder why your patch sounds different. Thatā€™s probably why.

The EaganMatrix manual is available via download from the Haken Audio website. The descriptions of the synthesis modules are an interesting read. Itā€™s not the most comprehensive manual - but itā€™s a pretty unusual synth. There is a basic subtractive architecture available through the matrix, and you can stick to very basic control formulas, if you want to be boring. Or you could use a simulated mouth for formants - thatā€™s there too. Speaking of which, Iā€™ve said enough for now.

2 Likes

Got a shipping notice today for my module. Woohoo!

1 Like

oh, wow, Im jealous!

is this direct from Haken?

Ive been keeping an eye out on Schneidersladen (as I need an EU distributor)
but still no date !

Yes. Direct from Haken.

1 Like

And here it isā€¦

5 Likes

come on ā€¦ we need sound :slight_smile:

1 Like

ā€¦and waves and noises, and music!!

Iā€™ll shoot some video later today or tomorrow.

3 Likes

Well hereā€™s me noodling around with a few presets. Roli connected in Eagan editor on a PC. Additional modulation cv from the joystick. Camera audio. No, I am not Loopop.

Eagan Matrix Module

5 Likes

Modulation with CV is way better than trying to use MIDI. There is seemingly no slewing on the MIDI control of the macros. Very coarse-no interpolation.

1 Like

can you use 14 bit midi?

Not that I have found. The MPE response is fine, itā€™s just the MIDI control of the other realtime controls. In a way the MIDI implementation is spartan. Destination CC numbers are preset. They did recently add MIDI program & bank change to the spec. I will try a MIDI to CV converter and report back. As this is their first time making an instrument without an integrated controller, I am not surprised that the MIDI implementation is minimal.

yeah, though I guessā€¦ its kind of assumed if your using this eurorack module, then CV is going to be your thing :wink:

I guess my expectations are the line ofā€¦
being able to use with MPE controllers and get nice smooth resultsā€¦ (albeit I expect tweaking as all MPE controllers are different)
being able to use CV to get smooth modulation.

for the rest, I guess the rest of midi, itā€™d be more to just to dial in sound parameters rather than modulationā€¦ though still, some slew/smoothing would be nice.

I was just trying to map the sliders on my Seaboard to control the macros (formally barrels). Not that useful. Maybe we can get 14 bit or some slewing eventually.

1 Like

For the Haken products with regards to 14-bit CCs, see the Haken manual and the web site regarding ā€œMPE+ā€. The MIDI spec is ambiguous, and Haken Audioā€™s scheme is more robust and precise: LSB and MSB are always sent in pairs, in that order. The trick is getting other controllers to follow the same convention.

In my case, I donā€™t think the controller can send 14bit, so that is moot. I can probably reprogram specific programs to slew the response curves. Lotā€™s of other avenues to explore even without this MIDI control data. I do own a Continuum as well, so I have experienced the high resolution of that instrument. Thanks for your thoughts.

I canā€™t stop the feeling that a continuum mini is the better value. There is one more controller attached to it, which can be used for some extra funā€¦