EaganMatrix Module

I just found this. The pace of development is quite high at Haken Audio!

9 Likes

Still a work in progress, at least production wise.

Detailed information about the module below:

https://www.hakenaudio.com/eaganmatrix-module#

I just pre ordered one.

1 Like

I think I have to sleep on this.

Congrats to the Haken Audio team :wink:
Hope it will be well received by the Eurorack community!

Ahahah, for me it’s an easy decision (unless I’m enchanted by the modulars over night; by some wicked fairy)

Every minute word= Osmose…

4 Likes

Woah!! Quick question, as someone who doesn’t use much CV gear, would there be an advantage to buying this as opposed to the Continuumini to use as a hardware synth for my MPE controllers (besides the $100 difference)?

It seems to have DIN-MIDI ports (like the big Continuums). A USB host port would be nice, cannot extract from the description whether this has one (the Mini’s USB isn’t host capable).
The Mini can be used as synth for other MPE controllers, but it needs a USB-MIDI hub (or Computer) in between.

1 Like

I think the USB port is a device port, not a host port – the description says that is can be used for running the editor or backing up patches on a computer.
There are apparently Raspberry Pi modules which can be set up as a USB host – I use an RPi to interface Linnstrument to C’Mini – but I dare not stare too long into the Eurorack abyss.

1 Like

Woah!! Quick question, as someone who doesn’t use much CV gear, would there be an advantage to buying this as opposed to the Continuumini to use as a hardware synth for my MPE controllers (besides the $100 difference)?

The price difference is deceptive, since you need a Eurorack case of some sort to put the module in. An advantage is the MIDI-DIN ports, which would allow you to connect a controller without using USB.

1 Like

Fantastic. I don’t need one (I think) given I have a Continuum, but it’s nice to see the power of the Eagenmatrix synth opened up to a wider audience.

4 Likes

Looks great -
the cv io looks like it’s going to be fun exploring.
Has TRS midi , so indeed you can connect directly to it - in the presentation, Edmund said you could use it in a mini eurorack case as a standalone unit, and was playing it with a keystep.

Interesting ( and related ) it has a switch on it, so that output can be line or modular level.

2 Likes

One question on the lines forum was about the i2c port, and whether there would be any way to leverage that to control it from Crow or Teletype. My guess is that’s not going to be possible, but it sure would be nice.

I don’t imagine that’s a launch feature, but maybe it can be added in firmware.

The page mentions that it’s monophonic over CV. I imagine it’s probably got some MPE over USB MIDI, though (with paraphonic parameter control from the four other inputs) – would be curious to confirm.

It’s reasonable to assume that it has the same USB MIDI protocol as the ContinuuMini (which I believe is pretty standard across the whole EaganMatrix line). In which case, it uses channels 1 and 16 for global messages, and channels 2-n (where n-1 is the number of voices in a preset, which for the 'Mini ranges from 1 to 8 depending on the preset’s complexity) for MPE note channels. The macros i-iv (and g1-g2) are controlled by CC messages on channel 1. Patch change message are non-standard but workable.

I can control a 'Mini with a suitably set up LinnStrument (through a USB host), with the annoyance of having to worry about having no more note channels than a particular patch supports.

Another difference: it has a stereo input, which is not on the Mini.

@Rimwolf – how do you manage patch changes?

The easy way to use an external controller with C’Mini is to plug it and the controller into a computer and run the Haken Editor. This not only provides an EganMatrix patch editor, but allows setting up external controllers, patch browsing and selection, and an interface to the macro and other global controls (like effect level).

I wanted a solution that didn’t involve a laptop, so I set up a Raspberry Pi with a small touch screen and wrote a Python program to interface and control the C’Mini. This got me into the nitty gritty of its MIDI implementation. Most of it is pretty well documented, like what CCs are used for macro controls, and the format(s)* of the patch change messages. What’s not documented at all is the patch load/dump format, parts of which I managed to reverse engineer for my purposes – most notably, I wanted to be able to see a patch’s name and voice count. So from the touch screen I can select a patch, and see/alter the values of the macro controls.

*: (One format basically handles linear patch number 1–500 or so, and the other handles bank:number, but not using the standard MIDI messages.)

2 Likes

Thanks. That’s definitely further down the rabbit hole than I want to go. But impressive.

1 Like

Yea I got in touch with Haken and they said for my purpose of using an external mpe usb controller the functionality is basically the same.