EigenD on MacOS Sonoma?

Hi friends, I am about to update my system to Sonoma but I afraid to EigenD stop to work. Do you know about the compatibility? I using Ventura on M1 now.

1 Like

No, but @thetechnobear will.

EigenD has been working fine on Sonoma on my Macs for quite a while :slight_smile:
(Mac mini M1 /MacBook M2)
(I think others are using as well, including @keymanpal)

so if you have it really working on Ventura, just upgrade and you shouldn’t have any issues. (at least as far as I know)

note:
generally, Id advice against beta macOS builds, or within first few weeks of a new macOS release esp. if its your only computer. this gives time for me to update, and check nothing is broken.

2 Likes

Hi @thetechnobear and others

I have a Sonoma install on my M2 Macbook Pro

I thought I might dust off the Eigenharp Tau and see if I can reignite my interest in it

I’ve read through this: How to install and run EigenD in 2023+ [wiki]

From that wiki page I understood that the python2.7 on my mac would be enough. However this Mac does not seem to have come with such an installation

$ python -V
Python 3.12.5

I have installed EigenD-gpl-2.2.0-community-mac-arm and when I run this it complains of a missing /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework or the /Library equivalent

I’ve used pyenv to install python2.7. I symlinked such that I now have:

$ ls /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/versions/
total 0
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  staff    6 28 Aug 14:25 2.7 -> 2.7.18
drwxr-xr-x@ 6 rich  staff  192 28 Aug 14:31 2.7.18

After this starting eigend gives:

/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Python' (no such file)

(among other places it tried)

After a bit of trial and error I discovered I needed to link like this inside the version:

ln -s lib/libpython2.7.dylib Python

Now starting me gives
ImportError: No module named site

Before carrying on further I’d just check that I’m going about this the right way :slight_smile:

1 Like

have you looked at the release notes?
esp. the section on macOS 64bit support.

I talk there about installing python2.7 and also how you need to copy the python modules required - it also discusses where EigenD is expecting to find python.

(I didn’t use pyenv to install, but same principles should apply)

also Id recommend taking a look at ECMapper and MetaMorph.
you might find something a bit ‘lighter’ than EigenD is more enticing to use :wink:

these are both based on my (low level) EigenLite software which has no dependency on python, so avoids these issues, and also has native apple silicon support.

2 Likes

@thetechnobear thanks for this - as I suspected I was down the wrong rabbit hole :slight_smile:

Lightweight sounds great - I will have a look a those other options

1 Like