Expressive-E Osmose Pre-Order

2 Likes

lol, yeah…

Im really glad I got to try it in a much more relaxed superbooth environment, in the forest - with birds rather than banging techno :wink:

I think my overall impression was, its very close to what I hoped.

by that I mean, we knew so much about what it was…

• its by expressive e, so I hoped/assumed quality would be there
  • I love the sounds of the Eagen Matrix, I hoped it would translate to the keyboard format.
  • the idea of the two stage pressure is nice, but ‘untried’ so I hoped it would work out in practice.
  • I hoped it would work well as a conventional keyboard (for other synths)

so there was nothing that I didn’t really know/expect,
but rather I feared by high expectations and hopes might ‘hit reality’

but reality was, it hit and excelled in them all.

I think the only thing that ‘surprised’ me , was the realisation that the pitch-bending on a key would required some practice to accommodate… I guess I turn my hands as I play, which of course might cause it to go ‘off pitch’

BUT its also to be expected that we will have to learn to play this , just like any other instrument.
(also there are features to make this more/less sensitive to help you start out)

to add to the excitement,
I spoke to a few you-tubers who were there testing things out, and loved it, all remarked on the quality, and the excitement for its future - many saying it was ‘best in show’
(quite a compliment considering how many products were released this year at the show)

6 Likes

ahah! your were double, triple fortunate to have had this experience, thinking about in a historical perspective - this must be a huge accomplishment on the keyboard existence, as a mechanical thing to generate sound… this “weight” IS on Expressive-e guys shoulders :wink:

2 Likes

Some more :drooling_face:… this time via Synth Anatomy

1 Like

Latest email update said shipments from China by boat will start in November.

1 Like

Latest email update says mass production will start in December with shipment in the first quarter of 2022.

:christmas_tree: Christmas and “Santa” :santa: on January… that’s all!

1 Like

Update email today, no specific date but they’re clearly not starting mass production this month.

yeah, at Superbooth, I thought they were being tad optimistic when they were talking about production by end of year…

I think we’ll start seeing a few units dispatched in March/April next year…the question then is, how many pre-orders were there, and how fast they ramp up production.

my only real hope is they don’t start giving early units to YouTube influencers that did not pre-order.
I’ve been absolutely fine with the (long) wait, but will be a bit miffed, if expressive-e start shipping out ‘marketing’ units esp. since its going to be a while before they have any to actually sell now, so little need to grind that marketing wheel before pre-orders are full-filled.

1 Like

Those numbers are small enough to not impact shipping for the rest of us.

(Contrast that against the Mod Dwarf, where retailers have had stock for months and the company is fulfilling new orders through their website, but the fully-paid preorders which made that launch possible are still trickling out slowly. Ugly compromises were necessary to keep the company afloat during covid, and nobody would get theirs at all if those weren’t in play.)

I agree, marketing seems premature and superfluous at this point. But at the same time, I can see where it might be harder to get that same coverage later, if they deal with us first.

At the end of the day, I just have to trust that they’ve considered both angles, and will make the best choice based on factors I might not be privy to.

A new development update on the homepage. The forth paragraph seems to adress your concern specifically (though with my italics):

Q1 2022

• first dry run and thorough tests under real-world conditions

• in parallel: operator training

• according to the ramp-up of mass production: progressive shipments by sea from China factory to our warehouses

• first shipments to our backers

2 Likes

NEWS!!!
https://us20.campaign-archive.com/?u=1a1bc68b009f3117236ece7cb&id=491bf724bd

3 Likes

I was really excited when I first read this announcement,
unfortunately when I read it again… doubt started creeping in…

basically its saying nearly 6 weeks to produce first shipment, then 2 months on a boat…and there is no indication of how large that shipment will be… 200? 2000?

Im assuming/hoping the few first units of the production line will be shipped by air to expressive-e for QC.
since, this the plan involves them ramping up production whilst the first shipment is still on a boat!

but hey, we have heard off this 4 month plan before, so not holding my breath…

so whilst its a hopefully a milestone, I think we have a way to go…

besides, even though I ordered about 3 hours into the pre-order… Ive no idea what this means… some are estimating (from invoice), I could be 3000th(+) in the queue! so who knows which shipment that is.

I guess, next steps :
we will see Expressive-E social media posting the first Osmose(s) off the production line.
hopefully at SB2022, they will have a few of those production units available to play.
then, we get to June (ish), and hear of the first units being shipped.

in the meantime, Im continuing my piano studies… so any delays will hopefully just mean I have a few more skills when it does eventually arrive !

1 Like

That’s the best plan!
I was also briefly excited…

Meanwhile I’ve stopped doing predictions, I don’t care…. Enough of the timeline into the future.
I should go back to some studies as well :wink: and some more EaganMatrix digging.

1 Like

yeah… until we get given our delivery date and asked for the extra $, I think it all a bit up in the air.

but we will get a chance to play with it at SB2022 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Feb. 24 email (which was sitting in my spam folder for a couple of days, thanks Google):

• production has begun
  • end of March: first container shipped by sea
  • April-May: continued acceleration of production and shipping
  • June: receiving the first containers, quality control, shipping the first pre-orders

Please note that all pre-orders will be shipped in chronological order.

To be fair, everything happens in chronological order.

2 Likes

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like “Dude, you have to wait.” - Mitch Hedberg

1 Like

Yet another delay. The factory is closed due to China’s zero-Covid policy.

oooh, newsletter today, sounds like its getting real :slight_smile:

latest newsletter

1 Like