Forum Categories

Currently we have a set of categories which apply to all expressive controllers (coloured red) e.g. hardware/software), and then some specific instrument/controller categories (coloured blue), used for topics which are specific to that hardware.

Generally, we will want to keep the number of categories low, since too many can get confusing for new users - so we are starting ‘minimal’ based on a keep it simple approach.

If you feel others are necessary, please post here suggestions.

as a side note… discourse supports ‘sub-categories’ , so if any particular category needs a bit more ‘organisation’, we have the option to create sub-categories.

1 Like

I changed category Haken Continuum to Continuum Fingerboard (this is the instrument), now the ContinuuMini is getting out; new category for it?

Do we create a Haken Audio “main” category with two sub-categories?

I think for now we should keep 1 category per manufacture, to keep the count low - if we start gettting lots of posts in them, then we can decide at that time how best to split.
(That’s why I called haken continuum seems to cover both )

2 Likes

My 2c, one category for both. I would expect most things of interest to ContinuuMini owners are equally of interest to Half/Full-size Continuum owners and vice versa.

1 Like

What about a list of expressive controllers? It should list MPE controllers and useful additions like a Breath and Bite controller or the Touché for example. The replys in that thread could show also pictures of performance sets…

1 Like

Sure you can create a post if you wish, then we can mark as a wiki if you want others to edit.

Or perhaps just to create a post in hardware of other controllers that you think are interesting - so others can comment on them.

we only really need a category where we we are going to gets lots of posts about a controller or whatever - and we don’t have to do it upfront , we can do as required and I can move appropriate posts.
( I created current categories not to be exhaustive rather, to illustrate a vague way of organizing things - which might change ;))

Alright, I have a few suggestions for new forum categories:

• Ableton Push 3
  • Artiphon

I have many suggestions for renaming existing forum categories:

• Haken Continuum → Haken Audio Continuum
  • Joué → Joué Play
  • KMI Instruments → Keith McMillen Instruments
  • Roli → ROLI

done. 20 characters.

1 Like

Thank you for editing them for clarity.

done twice… 20 characters.

2 Likes

thanks @keymanpal

I think we should probably hold off creating new categories until we see a number of posts being created for new instruments…no point in having, lots of categories with only one or two posts.
rather wait, till we see an actual need for them.

note:
I’m not suggesting we remove any categories that we (historically) created just hold off creating new ones. later, we may review existing categories, if we feel the need.

3 Likes

I have another suggestion for renaming an existing forum category:

• Eagan Matrix → EaganMatrix

The category description, pinned threads within the category, and the posts themselves could also be updated to reflect the actual name. The most recent thread within the category could benefit as well.

I have to follow up with other moderators , but initial discussions indicated we are likely to fold Eagan Matrix discussions into the relevant Continuum/Osmose areas.

reasoning is, at present, there is little discussion in Eagan Matrix specifically, and most that we see usually references a particular instrument.

generally, the approach we want to take is to try to have more active topics and categories (whilst obviously remaining on topic), rather than having categories that are unused, and topics that have single posts.
why?
because the focus of the board is discussion/participation rather than a ‘reference site’, and over categorisation etc be a little against this goal.

edit: to clear, this is largely aimed at me :laughing:
as a developer, I love structure and organisation, so many early topics and setup here… were a bit too organised and structured, or striving for completeness or correctness…
but Ive come to realise, over time, this can be a bit stifling for some… where they just want to discuss, and also topics do wander naturally.
so, its a balance, whilst you dont want topics to go completely off-topic, and at some point branching them off to new topics is a good move, and even helps develop the discussion… it can be better to sometimes let it flow…

a good example of this is mpe instruments…
originally I wanted each new instrument to have its own topic, seemed nice and tidy/organised, and it kind of worked when we rarely saw new instruments.
but these days we see so many mpe enabled instruments… we just end up announcing them, and no one says anything more… single post topics.
here I think Id now rather we had one ‘announcement’ thread, that we could all follow, and really only get into specific topic for it, when someone has actually used it, or wants to ask questions about it…
it would perhaps create less noise on our ‘main feed’

note: I should say, we dont want to increase moderation to ‘police’ anything like this, but rather just encourage / lead by example.

4 Likes

Sure, I agree with the reasoning, but I do not understand why the category was created in the first place, since the EaganMatrix is not an expressive electronic instrument.

its a hardware category… not instrument
(partly as I don’t want to get into the pedantry of if controllers are instruments :laughing: )

it is a logical category, intended to avoid cross-posting between Continuum and Osmose.
its only ‘issue’ is many users wont care about the distinction, and the lack of activity, so seems best to combine.
its actually a shame, I’d hoped it would promote discussion on how to create EM presets, as its a non-trivial thing… but reality is, there aren’t many of us doing this.
anyway, we will see… its not a big issue either way.

I am also working on something in this area, that could make the EM more accessible, so might make the category more relevant … but at the moment its under wraps :see_no_evil: :hear_no_evil:

Tantalizing, given I’m also doing work in this space (as you’ve seen in another post). I could speculate but given what you said you couldn’t confirm or deny anyway (laugh).

1 Like

But the “Sound Design, Tech Development, DIY” category can be used for discussing EaganMatrix preset creation, along with other synthesizers too.

that could be said of anything …
but in practice EM programming will tend to end up split across Osmose/Continuum, and the means potential duplication.

but its not a big issue, as I said… we are not trying to optimise this… its a discussion forum, and discussions are ‘messy’ sometimes, and that ok :slight_smile: