Gigperformer/camelot Pro

Try Gig Performer www.gigperformer.com - not a “DAW” and much more then just a plugin host.

Funny you mention this as I was thinking on Camelot Pro the other day.

I know GP is by the folks that kindly host this forum :blush: Camelot Pro has an iPad app, backing tracks and MPE support.

How do this two compare?

I only briefly used Camelot, so I cannot give a fair comparison.
There seems some overlap but also some unique points. E.g. the scripting in GigPerformer can come handy and Camelot offers a timeline to trigger instrument changes. I only use a fraction of the features of both programs though.

Best give them a try, both come with trial versions (Camelot even comes with a slimmed down free version).

You might also want to look at Mainstage or Usine Hollyhock. The first is hard to beat when it comes to included plugins (basically everything from Logic), but e.g. doesn’t support VSTs (only Audio Units), if you need this and expects all plugins of a setup to be loaded in ram all the time.
Usine is great for people who want to interact with the UI environment like with an instrument. It works well with multitouch tablet computers! It also allows to automate every possible interaction with the system with a visual, node based or scripting language (you could even create patches that create patches, like in Max or Pd). It can be a little intimidating though :slight_smile: Have used this on Windows a lot (and stopped using it when switching to Mac for music stuff. But there is a Mac version now…)

Currently I use Gigperformer, mainly because it is not getting in the way and because I see no reason to switch :slight_smile: The scripting feature was useful for some experiments, my current setup is script-less and as simple as it gets though. Just a list of scenes with different sounds that I switch between manually.
Wouldn’t rule out that it would be the other way around if I would have started out with Camelot :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good idea about trying them! I will

I have Mainstage but always end up in Logic (if not stand alone) when I’m at the computer.

The AU host/mixer I’m most comfortable with is AUM in iOS

I moved from MainStage to GigPerformer a couple of years ago. I have never used Camelot. I thought MainStage was a mature, feature rich solution that did all I wanted it to. And the bundled plugins were excellent (I especially miss Sculpture). But, I wanted a OS-agnostic setup (I generally prefer Windows and didn’t want to be commited to MacOS), so I moved to GigPerformer.

GigPerformer has a nice interface and I generally like it better than MainStage. I have used it a lot for a couple of years now and know it better than MainStage. My use-case is quite complex, though. Much more so than what I used to do in MainStage. So I can’t compare them fairly.

GigPerformer currently have some frustrating limitations in features that means I have to do a lot of scripting and creative work-arounds. Especially for getting hardware and software to run in sync. I also have random crashes, (probably a plugin, though, idk) and it seems gear using bluetooth midi (at least the Roli stuff I have tested with) makes all midi in GigPerformer stop working. I often get audio dropouts despite large buffer and sometimes hanging midi notes. (I don’t if I use the same plugin standalone). So, while it is too late to try something else for the live performances I am preparing, I am not currently 100% confident it will behave when on stage. Despite these issues I like working in it. Having the scripting functionality is a life-saver. My biggest complaint is some missing sync features.

And yes, I know I should report feature requests and bug reports to the devs. I haven’t yet.