Haken Continuum in experimental music & sound design

Hi everyone,

I have a question. I have been eyeing the Haken Continuum for many years, but almost all videos of it I’ve come across were people imitating acoustic instruments and/or playing classical/new age music. As I am interested in neither, and as the instrument looks to be much more capable than being a fake violin, I wonder if there are any videos or recordings that show the “stranger” or “avant-garde” side of the synth engine.

I am primarily interested in getting a Continuumini and playing it using a Sensel Morph. I play experimental/new music as a solo performer and in bands, ensembles and orchestras.

Thanks
Korhan

1 Like

Ohh, there is a broader Continuum uses out there , including as you say “stranger” or “avant-garde”, and Im sure few musician, composers, performers are going for the fake violin…

If you into FaceBook you can request membership

Everything about Continuum world; small videos etc.

1 Like

Thank you for your response. I left Facebook a year ago. :slight_smile: Do you have any suggestions of videos that show the experimental side of the Eagan Matrix?

Itself? the software control aspect of the Continuums?
Im not aware besides Richard Kram initiative… (lots of info there;-)

2 Likes

I may be using terms incorrectly. I mean the synth engine. Thank you for the link.

Synth Engine = EaganMatrix
Software control = Haken Editor (then a specific for each instrument were the EaganMatrix “lives” - Continuum/ContinnuuMini/Eagen Matrix ModuleEditor, upcoming Osmose…

so ok I was using it correctly. I am mostly curious about what the synth engine can do. I’ll do more research. Thank you.

I think the web page is descriptive

You can also download the user manual…

You might find this Youtube video helpful. Its maker recorded a bunch of the 'Mini presets right when they got it. The description lists the preset names (as organized into banks) and times in the video. You might find the Sound Design bank in particular going in some of the directions you want to explore.

Continuumini Demo - one hour, just sounds, no talking

2 Likes

Metal Machine Trio - The creation of the universe

(Lou Reed, Sarth Calhoun, Ulrich Krieger)

2 Likes

Richard Lainhart - Tranzducer

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the suggestions/links!

4 Likes

our community would benefit from an open discussion of Eagan Matrix Programming techniques

1 Like

agreed - feel free to open a topic :slight_smile:

we could also have another topic, where we gather ‘learning resources’ for the Eagen Matrix.
I watched some great youtube videos by EaganMatrix Programming , they are a little ‘long’ but explain things very well…

I’ve not got a Eagan Matrix instrument yet… but when my Osmose arrives, I’ll definitely be doing a deep dive… might do some videos too

(Im currently trying to also hold off the desire to order the new Eagan Matrix Eurorack module! )

for both topics (“EaganMatrix Programming Techniques” , " Eagan Matrix Resources" (?) ) ,
Id say chuck them into the Haken Continuum category for now…

we can then review this when the Osmose is released… as perhaps an Eagan Matrix category could be created, since it’d be relevant to Continuums, Osmose and the Eurorack module.

anyway, feel free to create topics you feel are warranted, and that you have ideas for, or would like to discuss…
(similarly, if you want to split the EaganMatrix Programming Techniques, into multiple topics you can do that too… we can then rearrange into separate category as they gain traction)

as an aside, there is also the possibility of creating ‘wiki posts’ on this server, if there is ‘text’ that we want to allow multiple users to ‘curate’ .
we currently do this for each category e.g.
https://community.polyexpression.com/t/continuum-fingerboard-useful-resources-links-wiki/