How to use the EaganMatrix (ContinuuMini) with other MPE controllers?

Hi everyone. I hooked up the Linnstrument, Continuumini, and Kenton USB MIDI Host Mk. II. Unfortunately the communication jams every few minutes. I’ve checked that the cables are connected properly. Video below. Any ideas on what to check next?

1 Like

Not having a MIDI host port on the ContinuuMini is making things a lot more complicated (even more because ContinuuMini seems to be picky which hosts to talk to.). I could imagine that if they had an EaganMatrix box with a host port this would sell like hotcakes as EaganMatrix is imho one of the best digital synths ever built. The ContinuuMini works very well as a self contained instrument. But the playing surface is holding the 8 voice poly synth inside it a little back… Sorry for the rant, back to your question :slight_smile:

First make sure that the ContinuuMini is set to MPE mode (not MPE+). There is a setting that allows you to set this globally for all presets.

If this doesn’t help: Plug both the Linnstrument and the ContinuuMini into your computer and use a DAW or live host that allows to route MIDI inputs (from Linnstrument) to MIDI outputs (to ContinuuMini). (Technically any DAW but Ableton Live - this will set the channel for all events to 1, producing garbage…) Now the MIDI host is taken out of the equation. Is the problem still occurring? If yes: try to record the MIDI from the Linnstrument. And if the problem occurs: Can you reproduce it by replaying the same sequence again? If yes: Send that sequence to Hakenaudio :slight_smile:
If no: Try to get in touch with the manufacturer of the MIDI host.

What could also help: Try to enable low power mode on Linnstrument. One side effect of this is that it slightly lowers the midi data rate. I made the observation that my Organelle (which I use as midi host) stops working when the midi queue runs over (so I have to reset it). Doesn happen towards the ContinuuMini for me but towards PC (which is connected via DIN MIDI, because I cannot connect host-host via USB).
Edit: For USB midi there is a setting where the data rate can be changed to lower values. Perhaps something similar exists for DIN MIDI? Might be worth to ask in the Linnstrument support forum…

Another thing that could be worth checking: The ContinuuMini sound engine only reacts to channels 2-9(*), so best make sure that the Linnstrument also only sends on these channels. Otherwise it could happen that the Linnstrument decides to send on channels the ContinuuMini doesn’t react to. But it’s odd that resetting the MIDI host solves the problem then, in that case I would have expected that you’d have to unplug and replug the Linnstrument to let it send on the lower channels again.
So it sounds more like a problem on the MIDI host side on first sight.

*: channels 2-9 maximum, if you play a patch with lower voice count it could even be less. As I unerstand it, there seems to be a fixed mapping between voice number and MIDI channel(?). Perhaps try to just send on e.g. channels 2 and 3 from Linnstrument as a start, that should work with all presets that are not mono.

Thanks so much for the tips @NothanUmber. I tried the MPE vs MPE+, that didn’t fix it. I ordered the dongles I need to try the computer solution. Maybe it will turn out to be the MIDI Host? :thinking:.

I don’t think I have the channels wrong. When I first connected this setup I had the channels wrong but that created a pattern where some notes would sound and some notes would not sound, but in a regular pattern.

I think the best option for connecting an MPE keyboard to the ContinuuMini as synth is to use a Teensy 4.1 or 3.6 with USB host and a USB hub. Then use a patch similar to the Interface_16x16 example to forward the MIDI from one to another. Optionally the desired configuration can be sent to the Continuumini at boot, and the Continuum voice settings can be sent to the MPE keyboard at voice change.

The Continuumini USB implementation has some problems, so the USBHost_t36 library should be modified to not try to read the the device Manufacturer string, as that often fails (case 5 in enumeration.cpp). This is also why the Continuumini doesn’t connect to the Axoloti and it takes some tries before it’s recognized in Linux.

If there’s interest for it I’ll try to wrap up the tests I’ve done into a nice patch. I’m a bit busy with the final production details of the Striso board, but a standalone Striso board + EaganMatrix setup is high on my wishlist too :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks for your analysis, that would be great! @Anckorage @Edmund: this sounds like it might be fixable via a ContinuuMini firmware patch?

yes sure ! and thanks a lot @pierstitus for this analysis on the enumeration, that’s super usefull (if you have additional details they are of course welcome)

1 Like

@Anckorage I’ve posted more details about the problem in a separate thread. I hope you can resolve this issue.

To get the ContinuuMini to enumerate on the Teensy change line 212 of arduino-1.8.13/hardware/teensy/avr/libraries/USBHost_t36/enumeration.cpp from

if (enumbuf[0]) dev->enum_state = 5;

to

if (false && enumbuf[0]) dev->enum_state = 5;

This skips reading the Manufacturer string.

I’ll try to find some time to put a Teensy patch online for forwarding MIDI and configuration.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot for your help @pierstitus … we will of course solve this for next firmware update.

2 Likes

Oh man @Anckorage, I discovered and worked around this same problem on the Teensy usb host (with TumDrum) a few years ago but I never told you guys about it!

@pierstitus, I did however uncover and fix a race-condition lock-up bug in the USBHost_t36 MIDI support that was easily exposed while using the continuumini due to the extreme event traffic. That I did push upstream and PJRC already incorporated the fix a while ago.

1 Like

Hello Jesse
The issue is now solved in the new Continuum firmware !
Did you go on working on TumDrum ? I really liked it … I will have to be back to you about it at some point !

2 Likes

I have the same exact setup. Linnstrument/Kenton/Continuumini. I am having the same issue with OS 9.0 on the Continuumini. It’s fine working with the older OS versions with this setup so it’s most likely on the Continuumini side of things. Does anyone know if this issue is going to be resolved or if anyone is aware of this over at Haken?

Yes, unless you are refereing to something else, the issues pointed out here are solved in the upcoming 9.50

3 Likes

I have what seems like a similar issue.
Running the ContinuuMini into a Kenton USB Host MkII
It works for about 20secs to 40secs, then it freezes, with no midi coming out of the Kenton.
When this happens the minus signs on the Continuum stops scrolling. They appear but are stationary.
I’m running firmware 9.55
Has anyone got it working with the Kenton?
Thanks

Greetings. I’m trying this setup as well. I’ve got Linnstrument and ContinuuMini hooked up to my iPad. I can route them through AUM and it works perfectly. But if I open up Springsound to edit, the Mini no longer hears the Linnstrument. Is there a special setting in Springsound that would let me edit parameters and play the Linnstrument at the same time?

Also, I’ve had no luck sending program changes from Linnstrument to change presets on the mini.

I’d be grateful for any suggestions. Thank you.

Out of my studio right now- (and sorry to point at the manual)

If you take a look at the manual it’s the fastest way to understand how Cmini changes presets and it does not use MIDI Program change (unfortunately)

• it uses CC’s.
1 Like

Thank you. Anyone have any luck routing through SpringSound?

You did mention AUM… with it can’t you route MIDI and keep the Cmini “handshake”alive?

Edit: I can setup it up and come back later…

Thanks. If I run through AUM, no problem. Switch over to SpringSound to edit the sound and the “handshake” is no longer working. If I just use SpringSound, I can’t get the Continuumini to recognize the Linnstrument.

So… @JES , straight to the point, heres a setup that seems to works nicely.
(nevermid some bugs here and there and long standing issues - some from AUM)

Goal: play LS using Cmini presets and use SpringSound app to change Cmini presets/sound parameters

• Latest Ipad Pro with USB-C
  • Anker USB-C hub - powers correctly LS and Cmini
  • in AUM create an Audio track and as a Source use IAA - SpringSound
  • Follow the below routing or load up the file

AUM file

1 Like

Thank you. That’s super helpful!