Instant fun, portable'ish hardware MPE sound sources to go with a Linnstrument?

Yes. A Linnstrument and a MacBook Air should be enough. I’ve been wanting to go all in on the iPad but I always have this feeling of half-baked, fragile, superficial…

Plasmonic has almost the same straightforwardness as Aalto. I’m still getting used to it and could well use a course or tutorial series on it but I’m not in a hurry.

Well, that is an interesting proposal. I’ll keep an eye on it.

How is the license system? I’m kind of tired of giving away my mail address.

I’ve set things up so that I basically have a different e-mail for each service (all working ones), so Plugin Alliance gets one of their own. Eg. If their e-mail database is at some point leaked / stolen and I start getting spam from somewhere, I’ll know where the address came from and can block it without any interruption to other addresses.

Apparently this isn’t the first time the Lion has been in super sale - now that I’ve used it for a while I think it’d be worth the asking price. But as the Unfiltered Audio subscription bundle is like $8 a month (and you get vouchers at some point so you can buy some of the licenses as your own) and the sale price was well under $50, I’d probably advise just trying out the demo - and if it makes sense & sounds good to you, waiting for the next sale or doing the subscription for a while.

1 Like

I liked the iPad + Linnstrument combination well enough that I added Geert Bevin’s iPad holder. I tried a bunch of apps and found the Moog Model 15 the most expressive. Recent iPads put out enough amps over USB to power a Linnstrument.

I had a MicroMonsta, but the number of cables and adapters required was too much of a pain.

3 Likes

I also want a “portable” “instant fun” synth for my Linny (I like the terms you used haha). I’m working on one now! I think the Linny is amazing and deserves a synth designed around it.

If this works out I think it will be the first MPE instrument with a built in editable synth engine? All the other MPE instruments rely mobile/computer apps. I’m not sure if the Expressive E Osmose will take that prize or not.

(By the way, I’m looking for help with the software, if anyone wants to help please reach out)

12 Likes

looks cool… I think having an attached synth engine always is nice…
also something that is designed for a particular surface seems to usually yield really nice results.

Im guessing the Osmose will be similar to the continuum, and allow certain parameters of each ‘preset’ to be adjusted - kind of ‘performance controls’ … the EagenMatrix is too complex to be able to edit thru a small screen, so makes sense to limit what can be adjusted at a preset level.

1 Like

That’s a very cool idea :slight_smile: I’d probably settle for just a separate small box instead of extension / backpack type enclosure, but the idea of having a beefy enough MCU platform, a simple control surface and (apparently?) rechargeable battery tailor-made simply for powering and playing the Linnstrument is great.

I guess that’s a Teensy 3.6 or something similar?

(EDIT: sent a private message, might be interested in joining the effort in some way…)

Fingers crossed that the Osmose works as MIDI host or at least has DIN-MIDI ports again. (The ContinuuMini doesn’t)

Looks like it doesn’t have a MIDI host, but it does have DIN-MIDI. Source: Osmose spec sheet and one of the pictures that shows the back of the unit :slight_smile:

1 Like

Another “kid on the block”…

1 Like

Looks like I’m also getting an used Organelle M as someone I know was selling one - primarily as a self-contained portable instrument, sound lab and PD host for outdoors / sofa jamming and log cabin trips, but I’m tempted to try out building some MPE patches for use with Linnstrument as well. Let’s see how well that goes…

2 Likes

There’s a new build of the Skulpt - Skulpt SE coming into production. It does support MPE and is quite portable. It is virtual analog synthesis though, not full wavetable, if that matters.

1 Like

I already mention this?? one post back; why again?

I just got the Skulpt SE from Modal. Very happy with it, though I’ve not had time for a lot of exploration. Sounds good, has an excellent editor, is cheap, and the form factor suits the Linny. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I just sold my original SKULPT and will probably get the SE very soon. I have no idea at all what is different under the hood, and frankly I don’t care; all that matters to me is that they stopped trying to be cute with the front panel graphics and you can actually READ what all the controls do.

As far as I know the changes are only in the packaging - all of the firmware will run on either the original or the SE. One thing to watch out for, though - if you are using the presets from the original, be sure to back them up with the Modal app before you update the firmware. All of the new presets over-write the ones that are there on the original model.

The MicroMonsta 2, now that it has (dual-zone!) MPE support, is intriguing. I’m not sure how happy I’ll be with what’s basically a VA synth, but for the price I’ll probably give it a shot once it becomes available again.

I did buy one of the second batch a couple of months ago, and now that batch #3 is on the horizon (the Audiothingies site lists availability as “June/July '21”) I thought I’d pass on my reaction.

I’m really happy with it. It can makes a lot of very playable sounds. There are enough modulation destinations and mod matrix slots to set up very responsive patches, with a good amount of fine control over timbre. The reverb and delay effects are good sounding. The build quality is solid. The user interface is very well implemented – it’s very easy to modify patches on the fly.

1 Like

I didn’t like the sound of the MicroMonsta a whole lot. Too digital-sounding to my ears, “zipper” artifacts.

Portable MPE hardware synthesizers was the forefront of my priorities for the last few years. I started with the MicroMonsta 2 due to reports of excellent MPE implementation. As my first MPE hardware synthesizer though, I had no idea how to use it, so I looked for something easier. The Deluge was very easy to use with MPE, and was how I eventually came to understand how the MicroMonsta 2 works with MPE too.

There were many others I considered:

• Norns

• Nymphes

• Witch

• Zynthian

My primary criteria is polyphony, since my background is piano/keyboard with a sprinkle of jazz, so I needed a minimum polyphony of 6, and ideally 10 or more. Battery-powered operation was also important. Only the MicroMonsta 2 and Deluge were able to fulfill this while being in a compact form factor.

Hello!

And welcome!

Maybe you are looking for dedicated synthesisers but in terms of portability and polyphony a tablet/phone is quite good with the Linnstrument, isn’t it? What is your opinion on that?

For myself, I have an EaganMatrix Module in a 60 hp Eurorack case. This is what I need for how I use it but for a while I had in mind to make it even more portable.

4ms produce small cases with enough 5V for the EMM. I wish they had a bit different form factor but they seem quite good. The 34 hp (ca 170 mm) one - 34X - could house:

• 2 hp Tubbutec MIDI Bridge A, a USB host and USB MIDI ↔ TRS MIDI interface that works very well for MPE and also supplies 500 mA current to the Linnstrument.

• 22 hp EMM, synthesiser with 8 voice polyphony

• 10 hp for something else, e.g. some faders for CV input, modulation sources and/or a headphone output/amplifier with stereo TRS.

A power bank with 15V output would make this portable and would require in total 2 external cables, one between the battery and the case and one between the Linnstrument and the MIDI Bridge A.

Admittedly, this is modular and not entirely dedicated and also not immediately portable. It is, however, as compact and immediate I - in my mind - have managed to get the EMM and without external interfaces and MIDI cables.

The new version of EMM from 2023 draws 5V 100 mA and the original 5V 300 MA, so that may change things a bit as long as the Linnstrument also gets sufficient current!

It is minimum ca 1060 EUR so not cheap but in the same region as Norns or Deluge, and I think it is really nice with the Linnstrument. And a wonderful synth engine in itself.

Some around here as been expressing the hope for a stand alone EaganMatrix box with USB host capabilities. 24 voice polyphony and replacable battery may be added to that concept! :slight_smile:

Now that the engine is both in Eurorack and the Oamose, and not exclusively coupled with the Haken playing surfaces, who knows? :slight_smile:

I could, but I exclusively use gratis and libre open-source software. Most tablets and phones do not fulfill this basic requirement.

I could try my smartphone, but I am not interested in cross-compiling Surge XT to AArch64/ARM64, and I keep it physically separated for telephony purposes.

You can use the Polyend Anywhere, now discontinued, to operate your Eurorack setup portably.