Joyst JV-1 | Joystick MIDI controller with full MPE

Just came across yet another MPE controller. I don’t think it looks particularly playable though.

3 Likes

I’m the same opinion.

On the other day I’ve said; king of the look alike keys joystick is the Eigenharps.

The layout seems to be not completely unlike a hex-version of what I use on the Eigenharp Alpha. Good to see more lower-cost expressive instruments entering the market!
But it imho also shows how far ahead of it’s time the Eigenharp Pico was.

3 Likes

Interesting idea. Did they make up their own damn pitch layout AGAIN? or does it correspond to anything else in the universe? I would have thought they’d have at least tried to do a Jankó layout or something…

3 semitones between joysticks, I’m sorry but WHAT?

Looks like a naff copy of the Striso. I expect it was developed independently, but I don’t like the look of it personally.

The walnut one might be OK.

Think it’s the west european chromatic button accordion layout. Or like a Bayan, mirrored at the x axis. I have a three course button accordion - almost like an accoustic version of my Alpha, it’s cool :wink: (Well, hex instead of grid and three instead of five courses, but it’s close)

So here again, “full MPE” consists of pitch bend and pressure?

I mean, the spec does present CC 74 as optional, but I feel like the word “full” sets a certain expectation.

(Whatever. I usually disable that anyway.)

I think it’ll prove useful to a lot of people as a DJ controller. Assign four FX to each joystick, and you’ve got yourself a powerful glitch machine.

Also good for visual artists, probably.

I could see programming a game where the player has to maneuver 32 characters onscreen, independently of each other. (I can’t see selling a lot of copies, though.)

I mean, any situation where you have a ton of parameters that you generally want resting at zero, or at 50%, a collection of joysticks could be the right interface.

Controlling a synth, probably not.

1 Like