MIDI Tape Recorder plugin with MPE Support

I assume it records/playback all midi messages - so should work with MPE+

but hey, its free, why not download it, try it … and let us know :slight_smile:

There’s problem in Intel macOS with Logic Pro, I’ve reported it to Apple and three other devs are seeing it also. However, on M1 it works for me. When you say it’s not receiving MIDI input, from what? From another plugin? Yes, that’s also a many years standing issue in Logic Pro that the MIDI generate from plugins is not going through the channel flow. However, using an external controller to play through MIDI Tape Recorder and record that, should work on M1 macOS computers, it does for me.

MPE+ should just work, it records all channel voice MIDI messages, independent of protocol.

2 Likes

this is on a Mac Mini M1 (actually tried on two different m1s :slight_smile: )

yes, Ive trying with various controllers attached, some MPE, and also a regular midi keyboard.
Im not using any other midi fx, other than midi tape.

I place MIDI Tape in the MIDI FX slot, arm it… set input monitor on.
(I’ve Aalto AU as instrument on track)

I cannot see any indication of midi within MIDI Tape on input or output side (as I can on iOS). and Aalto is showing no input signals.
(logic is still showing the notes coming in, its identify chords etc in toolbar)

if I bypass midi tape, aalto works fine.
if I replace midi tape with (e.g) Logics Arp midi fx it works.

and as I mentioned, its working fine for me on iOS…

I deleted the whole dev project, and build… so I cannot see its anything to do with that, should be using the release build.

definitely odd though…
unfortunately, not sure if anyone else here has an M1 to test on…

Here’s an example of how it works for me, does this not work for you?

https://app.box.com/s/iravbwygdnxiv5tk4eekhqiiyisokhiz

that’s exactly what Ive been doing… and nope…

just tried again, exactly following your video and its the same… Midi Tape shows no midi coming in/out, and Animoog doesn’t play.

what versions are you using? im on MacOS 12.1 , logic 10.7.2 (so latest)

Ive tried a full plugin rescan, checked that its the build from the App Store… all the normal stuff I can think of…

That’s exactly my config also, very weird :-/

here’s, my video :slight_smile:

This is baffling to me, I would love to be able to fix it, but without being able to reproduce it it’s hard to know how.

When you press Record Arm and Play in MIDI Tape Recorder, does it actually record an empty track?

Have you tried using the Logic transport controls, ie. playing while using MTR, does that make a difference?

yup, doesn’t do anything different…

Ive also tried

rm -rf  ~/Library/Containers/com.uwyn.MidiTapeRecorder*

in case some ‘odd data’ was stored over from the build I created, doesn’t help.

and nope, having record enabled does not create empty tracks.
its pretty much as if its not told to do anything, just stays armed.

I also checked using activity monitor, and I can see tape monitor there, and can confirm its the one from Applications (so App Store)… though my build and the entire Xcode project is long since deleted :wink:

oh absolutely… really don’t have a clue where to start looking.
annoyingly, though I have 2 mini M1s, Ive gone thru the same procedure on both, so unsurprisingly get the same results. … what we really need is a ‘fresh’ M1…

Ok that’s a good clue, that means that Logic is not calling the MIDI Tape Recorder audio callback block, which is necessary to do any MIDI event processing. This is the same problem as on Intel Mac machines, but I’ve not seen this on M1s. I have an M1 Max though, I’m now fully upgrading my M1 MacBook Air to check if Logic behaves differently there.

1 Like

Ok, confirmed that on my M1 MacBook Air it doesn’t work in the same way as it doesn’t work for you, while on my M1 Max MacBook Pro it works fine. :frowning:

1 Like

oh well, reproducible at least is one step further on…

I tried giving MIDI Tape Recorder a shot the other day and ran into the same problem. I chalked it up to user error and was determined to try it again when I had time, but maybe it wasn’t my fault!

I’m also on a M1 Mac Mini (Big Sur).

I tracked it down with some Apple engineers, and it’s a bug in Logic Pro X. We also figured out a workaround, so the new 1.0.4 release now works in Logic Pro X. Please let me know how it goes.

Full list of changes in 1.0.4:

• Added setting to allow disabling auto rewind after record.
  • Added setting to only start playing at the next host beat, even when not following the host transport. This is useful when using MTR as a clip launcher.
  • Record arm is now preserved in the AUv3 saved state.
  • Added Music Effect AUv3 alongside the MIDI Processor AUv3, note that the majority of hosts don’t support MIDI output from Music Effect AUv3s but recording is possible.
  • Added Instrument AUv3 alongside the MIDI Processor AUv3, note that while this will allow recording any MIDI in a host’s track, it usually prevents having another instrument on the same track so it might be impossible to hear sound.
  • Workaround for Logic Pro X issue that prevented MIDI Tape Recording from working. MTR now fully works on macOS Intel and Apple Silicon in Logic Pro X.
  • Workaround for Logic Pro X sending an out of range beat position at the start of transport, resulting into the MTR recording duration being too long until the recording catches up.
  • MIDI passthrough LED indicator in now disabled when the host doesn’t support AUv3 MIDI output.
  • Reworked settings UI dialog.
  • Fixed auto-trim recording when overdub duration is longer than original recording.
  • Fixed UI max duration calculation when auto-trim changes length.
  • Fixes to recording with host transport from a blank session.
  • Fix that properly clears recording state when invalidating or clearing a recording.
  • Fix for MIDI file export sometimes containing an invalid end of track marker.
5 Likes