More ideas/questions about the built-in synth

While playing today with the Striso and some of my apps in the iPad, I wondered if it would be possible to add more sound sources built-in, maybe community based? Maybe with software and transferring them to the instrument? Using the available slots to quickly change presets/sounds?

Or considering an “expansion” with onboard sounds, kind of like the continuums have?

Just thinking out loud.

Yes, this is possible and here is how you do it:

1. Connect Striso to the Faust IDE
  2. Code a new instrument
  3. Update the firmware with code for the new instrument (and to switch instruments)
  4. Recompile the firmware and upload to your Striso.

These steps require some very specific skills, though. For step 2 you need to know sound design (and how to translate this to code).

For step 3 and 4 you need to know how to write and compile C programs for embedded chips. Also, the processor is limited, so you are likely to run into problems when the instruments become too demanding. This requires some knowledge about cpu and memory as well.

I currently can only handle step 1 :slight_smile:

1 Like

So, it happens that I’m working in this exact direction… well, along with doing some unusual things with how controls are handled like the button Y axis controlling sustain. Doing this on Striso works very well, but the processor itself has some limitations that add a few challenges. Some of Fausts native functions (at least as far as I’ve been able to understand) won’t compile well to the Striso’s processor.

Even with that as a limitation, there’s a LOT you can do to get some really fun sounds. Definitely start off experimenting with Mark’s very cool Faust connection, that will give you a lot of room to explore without a lot of cost in effort.