New firmware update

IMPORTANT NOTE

This firmware is only meant for customers who have just received a new Osmose from the warehouse and never performed an update on it before. If you already updated your Osmose once then we strongly advise you to skip this version of the firmware, unless our technical support instructed you to install it.
With the OsmoseUpdater 1.1.4 and below, an update might result in the loss of all user presets. We are currently working on a fix for this issue that will be integrated into the next version of OsmoseUpdater.

Osmose Firmware v1.0.3 12/01/2023

GUI

• Improved: display of instructions during dsp update in order to avoid impression of a stuck process.

Keys calibration

• Improved: calibration initialization
  • Fixed: erratic behavior that occurs sometimes when keys are pressed very lightly and bent to one side

Other fixes

• Fixed: Wrong behavior when activating freeze in playing menu with no playing option selected
  • Fixed: Popups not appearing when Osmose was turned on for a longer time

OsmoseUpdater v1.1.4 12/01/2023

GUI

• Improved: better instructions during update to avoid confusion during the update process

Compatibility

• Fixed: osmose connectivity issue due to MIDI outputs name changing depending of language

Other fixes

• Improved: information saved in log files
2 Likes

this is kind of strangeā€¦ (advising users not to install an update)

only reason I can think of for this , assuming its ā€˜not riskyā€™ (which youā€™d hope is not the case), is perhaps they have a more substantial update in the works, so this is an interim release to just help with initial onboarding? ( * )

this would explain the only install if you have to approach, as youā€™ll get these fixes ā€˜soon enoughā€™ anyway.

( * ) so the main feature is the ā€˜better instructions during dsp updateā€™

2 Likes

This in upsettingā€¦ so if users already have 1.0 and go update to 1.0.3 still erasing user presets.
Better avoid it altogether.

1 Like

you can backup using the Eagan Matrix Editorā€¦

also, Expressive E have said

so this is perhaps the update I thought they might have in the works :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Itā€™s almost like they just tweaked the V1.13 firmware a bit and are saying if you have 1 its worth the update to 1.14 otherwise its not worth bothering until the (hopefully soon) release another updated that doesnā€™t wipe user pre-sets ( a more incremental update)

That said, I have only saved a few pre-sets as a way of favouriting so its tempting to update anyway!

1 Like

The advice probably does stem from the combination of not too many fixes being included, and the fact that the failure of the current updater to backup user patches creates some support headache/user complaints for them. So they would probably rather that most users waited until theyā€™ve improved the updater app so that it backs up and restores user presets.

3 Likes

Working for a company which produces complex software I can tell: usually there are patches, which update from any previous release, and there are hotfixes, which rely on a dedicated software status, which is updated. Those hotfixes later will be taken over in the generic patch release later.

To my opinion this is such a hotfix.

btw: hello everyboady. I am Florian from Munich, happy Osmose user.

5 Likes

Welcome fellow Munich citizen and Osmose user :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Osmose Firmware v1.0.6 13/02/2023

now on Login

UI

• Fixed: Tags disappearing in bottom bar when navigating with buttons
  • Fixed: Minor issues in preset filtering
  • Improved: Behavior of Encoders
  • Improved: Information displayed during update procedures

Sensors

• Improved: Sensorsā€™ initialization and sanity checks
  • Feature: Allow manual sensor reset from global settings

Presets

• Fixed: Removed special characters ā€œ/ā€ and ā€œ*ā€ in user preset names to avoid issues with preset saving
3 Likes

Updating to 1.1.3 (from 1.06)

Iā€™ve been procrastinating for months, but the fact is, they changed how presets are loaded externally, and the tools that Iā€™m building need to maintain compatibility with the current version.

Anyway, I think the ā€œdonā€™t update unless you need toā€ thing was meant to communicate that while the Osmose firmware had an update available, the Haken firmware is still where it was. The readme file advises that we open ā€œadvanced modeā€ to limit ourselves to their side of the equation.

What is bizarre is that there used to be a 1.1.4 online.

//shrug//

1.1.3 it is.

1 Like

What did they change about external preset loading?

Iā€™ll soon be looking into adding external preset management in software Iā€™m writing for EM devices.

1 Like

Honestly, not sure. It came up a few times in the FB group, and affected Richard Kramā€™s documentation efforts. I think he had to redo his patch list, in regards to the specific messages youā€™d have to send to load each.

I donā€™t think it ended up affecting me, for one important reason:

Iā€™m loading presets through the second MIDI port. Theyā€™re in a different order, as provided to Expressive Eā€™s firmware by Hakenā€™s. And Hakenā€™s side hasnā€™t actually changed.

That said, thereā€™s something to be said for switching to the other method, and having my patches list in the same order that people are expecting.

1 Like

Thanks for that explanation!

This doesnā€™t affect my software, for the same reason. As for order, i let users sort them Alphabetically, by Category (then Alpha), and by System order (numerically). Beta userā€™s havenā€™t complained about the order.

3 Likes