Osmose as a MIDI controller ONLY mode

Is there a way or can anyone think of a trick to use Osmose as a MIDI controller only?

More precisely, here is an example of a workflow:

1. use osmose keybed to control itself, record sequence in external MIDI sequencer.
  2. playback sequence from the external MIDI sequencer (sent to Osmose)
  3. use Osmose keybed to control ONLY other external synthesisers, while still having the external MIDI sequencer sequencing the Osmose Haken Audio engine.

This would allow me to replace my other (shitty) MIDI keyboard.

Any hack, idea welcome!

1 Like

All hacks, ideas from my friend Richard Kram :wink:

3 Likes

OMG this is amazing! Thank you <3

1 Like

its pretty much the same process as any other synth…

a) turn LOCAL mode OFF…
to disconnect keyboard from sound engine.

the only ‘quirk’ is if using USB midi
b) receive midi from osmose on usb midi port ONE.

c) send midi to Osmose usb port TWO to sequence the synth engine

remember also, you’ll want to set the midi keyboard mode to MPE or ‘classic midi’ in settings depending on what you need from the keyboard to drive your others synths.

3 Likes

Those last few points are a bit muddy.

You should receive from the first port if your signals are meant to sequence or perform an external synth.

If you’re sequencing Osmose’s internal synth engine, you’ll want to have received on port two, to play back appropriate signals on port two.

(If you recorded on port one, you’ve already lost all your MPE+ information and you should probably play back on port one so it interprets the remaining info correctly.)

2 Likes

I ignored using MPE+ (port 2) as this is rather dependent on the daw/sequencer. ( * )
not all DAWs (e.g. bitwig) will record the extra midi data (they only use cc74, ch at, PB) , so doesn’t really buy you much.
(and potentially can cause issues if this midi is sent to things that dont support MPE+)

also, if you do end up with port 2-> port 2, if you are not careful, it’ll automatically set local = OFF, and that can confuse some.

so yeah, using port 2 indeed, muddies the waters, when getting started - id recommend starting with port 1 (input), port 2 (output)… then go from there :wink:

but sure, generally… if you want to record mpe for playback on osmose
port 2 → port2, but generally use port 1 for input, port 2 for output.

one thing, I probably should have pointed out, is when sending midi back to the Osmose, restrict to midi channels 2-14, (with global on 1) i.e. you have to treat it as 13 voices.

( * ) I guess main point here , is despite the name MPE+ is not in anyway, a recognised standard, so its ‘extensions’ may either be ignored or misinterpreted … despite what the MPE spec says :wink:

1 Like

The reverse is also true though, you do also need to be careful if you dont use port 2 for data designed to play the internal synth engine.

eg:

The thing you already mentioned: The internal synth doesnt respond to notes on channels 15 and 16.

Apreggiator doesnt currently come through on port 1.

Pressure-weighted portamento doesnt currently come through on port 1.

Not sure if any of the other, sometimes subtle differences could cause any issues. But obviously be aware that you could configure the Ext MIDI (port 1) in a way that diverges even further from what the internal synth engine expects.

1 Like

Even dropping the extra bits, port 2’s pressure curve is a closer match to your performance. (Maybe they’ve fixed it, but last I checked, sending port 1 data back into 2 just didn’t sound like it did when I played that part.)

Your mileage may vary, but this seems more disruptive to me than making beginners learn about and watch for the local toggle.

1 Like