Striso Glissando button

This is in the “everybody knew it but me” category, I bet. But I have (after a couple of months of regular Striso playing) discovered the “Glissando” button, to my surprise and joy. I somehow had consigned it to the “other buttons I don’t much know about” category, with the alternate tunings and MIDI control buttons. I just use the Striso as an instrument, input to an iPad app, particularly GeoShred with the SWAM instruments or the Roli 5D instruments. While some of the SWAM instruments have a “Portamento” switch, I always hear the steps. Not so with the Striso “Glissando” button. Very smooth and easy, and always there for a quick slide!

1 Like

I think it is in that category! Did you notice the glissando speed is pressure sensitive? You can even go to the second pitch and halfway there change your mind and slide back to the original pitch.

2 Likes

It’s one of my favorite features as well! You can even control it externally with a foot pedal by sending CC 65.

5 Likes

Now I’ll use it! I just ordered my own from Piers Titus, and will return the generous loan I have been using for a couple of months…enough to make me addicted, for sure. I will (prior to the actual return) flip the button pattern on one of them, and try the “duet” version. I’ll never be Didie, but am curious. My left hand isn’t much, but we’ll see…

2 Likes

In the same category I’m also very interested by the glissando button but in my experience it only works with the internal sound. It doesn’t work at all or not well when I try to use it with other sounds on Garage Band. But David you are talking about other iPad apps, does the glissando button work with other sounds?
As both hands are busy with the striso duet I’m very interested by the possibility to control this button with a foot pedal. @mmuehlenstein could you please explain what is CC 65, which foot pedal do you use and how it is possible to connect it with a striso duet? Thank you!

1 Like

Yes, Didie…I get smooth glissando response in all the synths/apps I use: GeoShred (which I particularly love for the SWAM instruments, like clarinet and oboe), Roli 5D (which I believe was free, but I got a couple of extra voice packs for 3 or 4 dollars each) which gives convincing orchestral and other omplex instrumental possibilities, and the venerable but still-suprising ThumbJam. Of course, I play primarily with my right hand, and the odd left chord or counter-note, so pushing the extra button is not really an issue. I, too, would be curious about a simple foot pedal or such to free your hands when playing “duet.”

For whatever reasons, the GarageBand interface has always put me off. I know clever people make great use of it, but it just hasn’t clicked for me.

Thanks for your example as you bridge the electronic/acoustic gap!

1 Like

This sounds very interesting. What is your setup for using a pedal? Do you connect via the midi jack? over usb?

1 Like

Oh, no. No pedal. The highest button on the left hand side is the button. It’s right there, all the time. Performance varies with synths, but it’s great…and I played the Striso for about 6 months before I even gave it a real try!

1 Like

my bad, i do mean controlling glissando externally with a pedal. At least for me, if i want to use the glissando button, it usually takes up an entire hand. While it is very possible to use one hand to play notes and use the glissando button simultaneously, (especial with practice), i personally don’t find it the most natural. My foot isn’t doing anything while I’m playing, so i figured it would be cool and groovy if i could use a pedal for glissandos somehow.

It never occurrs to me to use the left hand much, except for the odd (still clumsy) harmony. I can play pretty fast melody with the right, and have just started to do anything with the left. The layout suits me so well that I play the odd “bass” note with the thumb of the right, too. And it feels like I can use the glissando button with the right thumb sometimes or even the right index, and still get much melody, but if you use the left hand extensively already, I see how that makes the glissndo button problematic. I think I will buy a cheap (20 dollar) pedal and try it in the “pedal” jack, just to see. Your question makes me want to try it, so thanks!

1 Like

At the moment a single pedal controls the note decay/sustain, the second (ring) switch of a double/triple pedal controls the glissando.

You can also connect a single switch to the ring of the mini jack to control glissando.

Since most foot switches come with a 6.35mm jack you anyway need to change the plug or use a converter. You can use a 2x mono (TS) 6.35mm jack to stereo (TRS) 3.5mm jack to connect the pedal to the Striso board, then you can choose what to control or even connect two pedals.

Making a double pedal yourself is also quite easy, get two momentary footswitches and connect one from sleeve to tip and the other from sleeve to ring.

I can add the option to choose which pedal controls what to the firmware too, please let me know if that makes you happy!

1 Like

Id be very happy with this option

I have a tripledal from Clavia, which momentarily is hook up on a Nord stage. It has a TRS connector. How can I use the tripedal with the Sriso?