SuperBooth 2020

So who’s planning on going this year? (I’ve already booked my ticket). I’ll probably fly in Thurs am, and back home on Monday morning.

The new Frap Tools complex osc is currently high on the list of things I’m looking forward to seeing, and also the Hydrasynth.

2 Likes

I was in two minds… but now pretty sure I’ll be booking :slight_smile:

need to book flights, tickets, hotel (think will go to same place)
likely same as before, so arrive wednesday afternoon, then fly back monday… though I was considering spending a couple of days in Berlin to ‘look around’

want to see Osmose and Slim Continuum, poke around the modular stuff …
but more importantly say Hi to others, and go see and listen to some great acts.

oh… and get some tasty german beer !

2 Likes

Most likely - yes :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Once again… this year I’m out - shows confirmed right on this weekend…ahah and ContinuuCon starting on Monday 27… let’s wait for 2021.

Might go. Haven’t decided yet.

2 Likes

I really want to go, and may have to for work reasons, but the timing will be very tight… I have to be back home and unjetlagged enough to be able to drive across the country barely three days after it’s over. And I might have to pop into Loop too… if I go, I’d love to see y’all!

3 Likes

I haven’t decided yet but might give this one a miss. Still too upset by the great daylight robbery known as Brexit.

Allert & Bart have set up a chatroom, no sign-in necessary, for those that feel so inclined.

https://www.wireclub.com/chat-rooms/Allert%20-%20Superbooth%20at%20Home

1 Like

Thoughts on things you’ve seen? Show? Products?

I’ve mainly had hainbach on it the background, so still lots to see/explore.

DistingEx - finally might get a disting, as you can see Algo names and parameters!

Chair Audio - ( see hainbachs stream) , they need a demonstrator on their team!
I dismissed this last year as a mono xyz pad - but this year I finally understood it and it’s a really interesting concept, ( despite their best efforts to the contrary) At €300 for dev version it’s a bit pricey - but their plans for the release version sound very interesting.

Year of the stereo filter
Last year at SB there was talk of stereo being next thing in eurorack - this year seems to have happened. Some lovely new filters out.
( I think I’m mostly interested in the Bastl filter and vca).

MengQi - wingpinger
Another product that’s was around last year that I didn’t understand. - but great demo on HB channels has me in love :heart_eyes:

Befaco CvThing also has my attention:)

Shows still happening and I’ve not caught up on most. Ian Boddy in SonicState was very good,
Also always a pleasure to hear Carolina Eyck.

Oh… and don’t forget there is some great stuff on the ableton loop too ( really spoilt for choice this weekend !)

Got (another) Disting! Should have it by the end of next week. I like the better display, and the MIDI & I2C connectivity of the new one. The multi-sample player is also a nice to have. Might have to see if I can find a buying for at least one of the other two distings in my case!

The Worng stereo filter and VCA sounded pretty good. I agree, stereo seems to be the big thing this year, though Make Noise were already well down that road!

The other thing that might find a way onto my shopping list is the Shakmat Bard Quartet, a 4 voice quantiser.

I agree that the Meng Qi Wing Pinger has really evolved from the earlier version, and the demo sounded great. It’s a smart engineering option to be able to easily offer it in either a jack or banana format.

In terms of the performances, I really liked Carolina Eyck, Panic Girl, and Ose. Strome were a bit disappointing after their excellent set at SB18. I’m looking forward to seeing Scanner later on today.

1 Like

Worng , ah yeah that’s the one I couldn’t remember.
Yeah MN had it covered but Qpas was a bit much for my needs.

Indeed that quantizer looked really useful.

Disting - can never have enough distings :wink:

What’s the deal with midi and disting? What do I need, and is it worth it? ( that 8n looks useful!)

Now with hainbach stream finished- hope to ‘work’ thru the performances :slight_smile:

There’s a video on midi control, but I think essentially you can control Disting EX params via midi cc. There’s a header on the back of the Disting EX, and a MIDI breakout (https://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/dm4midibreakout.html) for DIN cables if you want. The 8n in the videos is connected to the Disting midi headers at the back.
8n is nice, but I think I’d like to get a 16n to have the flexibility of using outside of the modular; to control Norns for example.

hmm, thats a bit big… i wish he did a TRS A version , that would be 2 hp!

i was eyeing up tesseract’s sweet 16. which is a 16n for eurorack, looks really useful… but its probably a bit big for my case… (too much stuff on my desk for a 16n)
https://www.tesseractmodular.com/eurorack-modules/sweet-sixteen

Yeah, I’m considering the Slate+Ash build:

I’m inclined to think that this sort of controller works better outside of the case (cf Monome grid & Arc, Korg Nanocontrol etc).