Symmetric MIDI assignments possible?

My preferred percussion preset is an isomorphic 6x8 drum grid. I want to map MIDI notes symmetrically between the right and left sides, but Erae Lab only allow MIDI notes increasing chromatically from left to right. This is the only way I can get a symmetric layout of drum kit pieces when controlling my Roland TD-50, which only allows a unique MIDI note for each of the 32 kit pieces and articulations in any of its presets.

For example, if row 1, columns 5-8 are C, C#, D, D#, E, then I need row 1 columns 1-4 to be A, A#, B, C. Etc. Is there any clever way to accomplish this? Creating multiple drum grids wonā€™t get me there, and I donā€™t see anything in the API that will let me specify MIDI notes for each rectangle in a drum grid. Creating 48 1x1 drum grids would have worked, but thatā€™s way beyond the limit.

What I really need is to be able to assign any MIDI note I want to any rectangle in a drum grid. I donā€™t see the advantage of tying drum grids to notes laid out in a scale.

yeah, currently the keygrid and drumpad elements are so similar , you wonder why they are different :slight_smile:

perhaps the difference should be the drumpad has freely assignable notes - though without a scale youā€™d not be able to slide between notes , though for percussion not really an issue.
or perhaps keygrid/drumpad, could allow for a reversed layoutā€¦

Id drop an email to @embodme to discuss it with them.

in the meantimeā€¦ can you use one of the buttons elements ?
@keymanpal , did some testing in this post , and found you can use 48 ā€˜simplerā€™ elements.
(whereas only 4 of the more complex elements like drumpad/keypad)

again, something that no doubt could be discussed with Embodme, if there are problems in that area.

1 Like

Button elements donā€™t have velocity (right?), so no diceā€“my whole thing is dynamically responsive finger drumming. If they added velocity to buttons, Iā€™d be happy to make drum setups just using them.

hmm, not sureā€¦ honestly, i pretty much just use the drum and key grids :slight_smile:

seems odd the button and key, can send note messages but then have fixed velocity.
but if not, I guess, itā€™s another feature request.

its definitely a decent use-case, that some users might want to arbitrarily layout notes over the surfaceā€¦ but still have things like velocity, and x/y.

I know they are thinking about layouts a bit, as they have posted a poll on twitter about supporting alternative layouts, in particular a pyramid layoutā€¦ which if i read correctly they mean, the accordion like layout which is based around intervals.

1 Like

Hi. I had the same problem for drum layouts (and also wanted to make cells of different sizes) and used the ā€œKeyā€ element. While the button element does not send velocity, the key element does, and you can use up to 48. So that should work.

4 Likes

Brilliant, thanks. Iā€™d tried adding multiple 1x1 drum grid elements, but the maximum number allowable to add was less than 6 (I forget). I assumed, then, the other elements were similarly limited, but it turns out you can indeed create 48 Key elements. Iā€™ve created the layout and will test it later.

ADDED: The maximum number of Key elements appears to be 48. I forgot to mention that my 6x8 grid squeezes in one volume fader along the shortened left side wtf.