Tasty Chips GR-1

I’m just reading the write-up of this elegant granular synth in the latest Sound On Sound. (Incidentally the magazine is currently available free.)

https://www.soundonsound.com/digital-magazine?utm_source=april21freehome&utm_medium=website&utm_campaign=april2021freehome

I was interested to see it was based on an RPi 3. Does that mean Technobear could put one together with an LCD screen, a few spare knobs and a pencil sharpener?

I must revisit my PiSound. I got a bit frustrated with it because the MicroSD cards seemed to keep getting messed up and non-bootable, but maybe I just needed more reliable ones. Or perhaps an RPi 4 and an SSD. (Except that I’m not sure if PiSound has caught up with RPi 4 yet.)

1 Like

The SD card can get corrupted if the Pi happens to writing to the card just when it’s powered down.
Are you shutting down the OS before you remove power from the Pi?

yeah the GR-1 looks fantastic… so nice to see a granular synth with a nice display on it.

he he… yeah, probably a screen, encoders… and about 6 months work :wink:

but for sure, you can build granular … the QuBit Nebulae (module) is also a rPI, running csound/python.
there are lots of options to build a granular engine for the rPI quite easily.
(Supercollider also has many granular ugens available)

odd… whilst this is possible, in practice Ive never had an issue with it.
whilst theoretically you should shut it down cleanly, generally its not writing bits of the filesystem that would make it unbootable.
Id think its more likely, that the sdcard is a bit dodgy :wink:

one thing you could look into, is making the rootfs read-only, and move volatile ‘data’ to a separate write partition - this is what things like the orgnalle do (which do not really have a shutdown process), and Ive never seen an issue with these… even with 100s of users doing it all the time.

1 Like