Tau - physical measurements/dimensions...?

I’m interested in creating a MIDI controller inspired by the Tau, with similar proportions. The Alpha and Tau must be about the largest unconventional controllers ever made, and they certainly have stage presence.

I wonder if someone might take the time to measure one up, just to get the basic stats like length, width, thickness, and ideally things like where the keyboard starts and ends.

I’ve been Eigenless for a while, but I couldn’t resist a Pico that recently surfaced on Reverb. I guess features like the keys and buttons are the same size…?

(If I’d caught that inaccessible Utah one when they finally listed it on Reverb recently, I’d have snapped that up, though I wondered if that might be the one @Clarkalex picked up with a missing base station.)

Thanks,

Ben

Pico and (the upper part of) Tau have the same keys, yes. I’ve never held an Alpha.

1 Like

This page has measurements: Eigenharp Tau - Eigenlabs Eigenharp Tau - Audiofanzine

It even has the measurements of the laptop bag :stuck_out_tongue: I still have two of those, using one as my daily notebook bag :slight_smile:

Tau:

Height 120cm (including breathpipe)
Height 116cm (excluding breathpipe)
Width 7.3cm
Depth 2.5cm
Weight 2.1kg

Keys and key distances are exactly like on Pico.

1 Like

…great, thanks NothanUmber! :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m also VERY interested in this, and I’d love to offer to help.
I’m an electronics engineer, I’ve also made and sold synthesisers commercially.

My weak points are the mechanics, and anything above bare metal/lowlevel firmware (C on micro controllers I’m fine with, above that I don’t have a clue).

So, where are you at with this? can I help?

Hey TechPaula, welcome to Poly Expression. Did you pick up a Midihex prototype once? I was planning to revisit the Tau format with the same tech one day, though it’s some way down the to-do list at the mo and wouldn’t deliver lateral key movement. I’ve been meaning to experiment with 3D Hall sensors but haven’t got round to it yet.

Yes I did!
I like the MIDIHEX but the hex arrangement isn’t something I’m gelling with.
the lateral movement on a tau/alpha is, for me at least, a nice to have. Velocity and poly aftertouch would still make it a must have for me.

I’m kicking myself as I nearly bought an alpha way back, but I got put off by the software being closed source and worried about the company going bust. I’m pleased they open sourced it, but I now kick myself for not buying one when I had the chance!

1 Like

It’s bucket list for me, and I’d love that Tau that just got listed in Devon, but I’ve currently got too many gadgets and not enough cash.

(Encouraged that you don’t regard lack of lateral key movement as a deal-breaker though. A Tau-esque device without it is very doable. That’s the hardest bit.)