Trill Sensors & Craft board from Bela

if you interested in creating your own instruments or control surfaces these are interesting :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Itā€™s funny. I come here every day or two to look for new posts, and still managed to miss this campaign in its entirety.

yeah, Ive the same problem with KSā€¦ so often I find out about them way to late!
with this one, Ive got Bela already, so Im not their mailing list.

funny, I had to device the other day what combination of sensors I wantedā€¦
but given I hadnā€™t decide what exactly I was planning it was a bit tricky.

Ive got quite a few ideas for projects,
i think iā€™ll do something fairly simple initially, just so i dont procrastinate indefinitely :wink:

Iā€™m mostly looking for three bars, I think. Though, I wouldnā€™t mind having both X and Y readings on there.

So, an XY pad with some kind of overlay to divide it.

ā€¦so, a Sensel Morph.

(Your way is cheaper)

Can you join multiply bar modules to make a longer pitch strip sensor?

supposed to not have a gap, so yes.
(youā€™d just have to combine the readings in software)

1 Like

Ordered some to play around. Particularly the Craft one looks interesting. Perhaps a low-cost big touch-sensitive surface can be realized with that one if touch-size detection and and precision is high enough? Nice thing with capacitive technology is that it should react to the slightest touch. Weā€™ll find out :slight_smile:

You ordered them during the campaign?

(If thereā€™s an order form outside of it, I wasnā€™t able to find that)

yepp, during the campaign.

Ah. Iā€™ll get some eventually.

Just came up with an obvious use case, though not an expressive one:

A pair of bars, set to a right angle at the corner of a grid controller, could function as scrollbars, allowing that grid to be a window into much larger control spaces.

Iā€™m not sure what detecting multiple fingers could be used for in that scenario.

Like, it wastes a ton of potential. But it also creates a ton of potential.

Hmm.

Sounds cool! Not every feature needs to be used in all cases :slight_smile:
That said, if I understood it right then the square Trill actually supports multitouch, it just cannot say which y positions belong to which x positions, just just get a list of both. So one could e.g. play chords on a horizontal ā€œstringā€ (which string could be determined e.g. by the lowest or highest y position). Building a big surface with the squares would need quite many of those, but your x/y bars might be a good idea to get more out of just one squareā€¦

multi touch is quite useful on slidersā€¦ think gestures. e.g. use 2 touches as a ā€˜pinchā€™ gesture to zoom inā€¦
e.g. imagine a strip used for ā€˜cutoffā€™ , single touch = position (obviously) , and 2 touch pinch, can define the range of the cutoff modulationā€¦

1 Like

On sliders, yes. On scrollbars? Maybe!

I was imagining a large windowed step sequencer before, where ā€œeach pixel is a cellā€ must be maintained, and zooming probably doesnā€™t make a lot of sense. But for something like the waveform display in Deluge, that would be fantastic.

Iā€™m really curious as to what I am going to be building with these. The Bela community is quite nice though and the team deserves every penny they make.

This is new.

Also, less new, but I hadnā€™t seen it:

The Trill looks fun, but I wish people would make interesting new audio gadgets a bit bigger.

Like the new Therevox ET-5. Another half-octave. Love that theyā€™re inviting punters to send them a $400 deposit when they havenā€™t even decided what the price is yet.

https://therevox.com/et-5/

(Iā€™ll shortly be receiving an Eowave Persephone back from Washington, slightly the poorer, after foolishly entrusting it to eBayā€™s Global Shipping Program. Thatā€™ll probably sate my enthusiasm for ribbon controllers for the time being.)