"Tropicos" by Rafaele Andrade

Not my project, but imho fascinating - self made music on a self made electronic instrument, pretty cool!

This is apparently the first of four “movements”, the others are going to be released within the next weeks.

2 Likes

A part of me is very impressed by the concept and her level of vigilance required to conceive and to make an instrument like that, but in the end it sounds simply like a low-quality electric cello. Rotating between four fingerboards look really cool as a performance tool, but from a practical standpoint a 6-string electric cello like NS Design CR-series would cover more than enough range, and all the strings there are available at all times.

1 Like

I honestly cannot say how much the instrument today has still in common with the initial idea:

But at least initially the idea as I understood it was to have the sound creation part either electro-acoustic with digital postprocessing or completely digital(?), so each side can sound however one wants. (Preset buttons might also have done the trick - but would probably look less cool :wink: )
In this case it really sounds like an e-cello with a looper and some effects.
But to be honest - many pieces I heard being played on a Linnstrument, Continuum or Eigenharp could also have been played on a poly-aftertouch keyboard with pitch-bend, modulation wheel and expression pedal - with potentially better range and readily available opportunities to learn how to properly play this.

As long as the player has fun trying something else - why not. Hard to find something new without trying!
I am pretty sure she wouldn’t have dared to play such a piece on a Gofriller cello or even a top line e-cello. As long as people enjoy listening to the result (which I did) - imho mission accomplished! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

yes, fair enough. I guess I just envy her

1 Like

:slight_smile:
Probably not too easy to make a living with such highly experimental stuff. So it’s admirable but I don’t envy her.

2 Likes

Here are all four movements listed in sequential order:

1 Like