UDO super 6, poly synth with MPE support

I don’t know if this has been mentioned here but the named synth has MPE support as stated in this video:
https://youtu.be/u_L4rOwoUho

minute 18 or so

Their website http://udo-audio.com/
It sounds really good

4 Likes

NAMM 2020 novelties :wink: Alex4 booth…

1 Like

Yepp, they had a prototype at SuperBooth this year. Not all features were implemented at that time but already sounded promising!

2 Likes
3 Likes

I will be on the same booth… maybe we will find time to experiment MPE with a Continuum

3 Likes

In case anyone else was confused by the Electronic Musician review, MPE support is detailed on pages 85 and 86 of the manual.

I’m not familiar with that review, what did it say regarding MPE?

The reality is that the MPE side of things does not exist in the current Super 6 firmware. And I would not like to offer a prediction of exactly when this missing functionality will be added. Its the last hardware synth I own that I am still craving MPE support for, which is funny considering its the first one I bought that has MPE written on the front panel!

So the support for external MPE controllers described in the manual has not actually been delivered yet? That’s what happens when the tech writer trusts the specs. I see they also do not yet support USB MIDI (!), NPRN, or MIDI patch dump, and CC output is limited.

The review discussed MPE in the context of the keyboard:

Moving onto the keyboard, the S6 features a 4-octave Fatar keybed with channel aftertouch (and MPE capability is ingrained, though yet to be switched on, future-proofing it nicely).

Yeah thats bad and misleading writing, the keyboard has nothing to do with future MPE support.

I actually complained to the editor about that reviewer. He also didn’t seem to understand that FPGA is not a kind of oscillator and thus that the Novation Peak and Summit also using FPGAs for this oscillators didn’t mean that they had anything in common with the Udo.

That sort of lack of understanding is annoying. I know the inner workings are like a black box to many people but they could still get to grips with the idea that FPGA just tells you what sort of box is being used, not the detail of what lurks within it.

The only time I read a magazine review of a synth in the modern era it also contained a clanger that put me off - it was for the Waldorf Quantum and they claimed that the digital former was not per-voice, even though it only takes a few seconds of mod routing to establish that it is.