Wisp controller

What do you get if you put a Sensel Morph in a silk bag?

A Wisp. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Neat idea, a deluxe haptic grid-style Morph overlay it seems. Wondering what they do with their own software that the onboard firmware couldn’t do already? MIDI class compliance that can directly speak to anything USB-MIDI without a computer in between is imho a neat feature of the Morphs!

Had another look. Either I don’t get the system or the comparison to Linnstrument is a little odd?
"However, I don’t believe the grid layout is the best option. Mainly that is because of the finger gymnastics you need to perform to play complex chords. "

What I understood from their webpage is, that it’s a grid layout with an octave between rows. (So, still a grid? You can tune the Linnstrument with any interval between rows pretty easily, including octaves, if desired). But how does this help with chords? Aren’t all intervalls smaller than an octave on the same row then, like on a Continuum? Nothing wrong with that, but don’t you get that from any grid controller with continuous pitch on the x axis, if you just ignore the other rows for chords?

Nonetheless, it looks fun to play. I guess for this price the Morph is included?

I just went through the videos. What I find interesting is the attempt to combine several different physical cues and layouts into one system. The wrist rest is a good idea, the moving keyboard to choose where the slightly raised black keys are is neat, and the one octave isomorphic layout is certainly not unheard of. While I’m not ready to give up my LinnStrument yet, I can see why this might be a very tempting MPE device.

In its own way, it’s trying to be “not the other guys” in critical areas. It provides a different tactile experience and movement approach than a LinnStrument, it is more focused in application then a Morph by itself [More focused but less flexible, and therefore less intimidating], it’s more ergonomic then several of its competitors, and it’s not made by ROLI. All of these are going to be pluses for various people.

3 Likes

Yeah! I’m a Sensel Morph owner and this looks like its dark-moon witchy cousin. However the way the information is presented is very “developer-y” (worse than Sensel does :sweat_smile:) and since this particular device is probably a stepping-stone into better iterations or devices if the developer keeps at it and grows whatever company they have going, it might be valuable for the developer to take an actual marketing approach with this and get it in the hands of witchy teen and college age music producers on tiktok to show themselves making music with a dark velvety mysterious devices covered in moon cycles. Selling this to, say, us on this forum, would be hard, right now. But that doesn’t mean it’s not ingenious and innovative. I just think due to its boutique nature it would need to find a more novel audience to really get sales going. I hope this dev keeps at it, makes lots of profits, and invests those into their next iteration!

When I saw the mechanically sliding keyboard, I perked up. I’m secretly wishing for an MPE device someday that resembles some sort of puzzling, mystical artifact from an arcane fantasy world (like in Fireproof Games’ “The Room” series). This Willowisp company seem to be the closest thing to tripping over that fantasy of mine. If I didn’t have a Morph, I might bite. But I do, so, I’ll just keep my eye out on what they do next!

1 Like

This. The VR version was amazing.

Haven’t tracked down an OTO yet.

1 Like

OTO, wow, what a cool concept, at least mechanically! I’m completely averse to the epileptic jitterballs of annoying light that they are, however, but they were indeed headed toward that direction!

Something with OTO’s (and the Orba’s) physical mechanics, but more of this muted, velvety, arcane appearance (like this Wisp, and thinking also of the Touche and other “decor” aesthetic products), and then add in the mystique of the Teenage Engineering OB-4 but leave out all of its functional uselessness, and then make it adaptable to different work flows with interchangeable or modular control mechanisms (like the Morph, Joue Boards and Wisp) and ohhhh man that would be a DEVICE.

With MIDI 2.0 beginning to enter the real world, we can expect something of that calibre in the next maybe 5 years and I cannot WAIT

Also, I want to make sure youre aware of the game called FRACT OSC if you aren’t already, based on an assumption I’m making about how you enjoyed a game and are trying to buy some OTO

…cool, will check that out.

Another arcane controller that I’ve never seen yet is the Karlax. Check out this guy’s moves.

straight ninja instrument there. I have the zendrum 

which is fantastic for making beats, way way better than the
square grids by infinite degrees,
i was going to hook a foot control for doing the bass drum even
but the layout is such that you really don’t need that, but damn the thing beats your hands to death i swear, and you can’t put the damned thing down
anywhere it just isn’t made with resting in place in mind.
Unfortunately, i really haven’t found it to be good for anything but percussion really. You can adjust the note length but the fact is it does not have polyphony so it doesn’t get used as much. However i do believe it combined with the leap would be fabulous and think i will do an online jam with it here in a bit just to aggravate people with the simply amazing sounds i come up with lol.
I am also thinking of the neuvo? ring as it would give me back both hands, i get burnt on the limited melodies one can groove on a single barely trained hand and arpeggiators even with round robins and all that jazz just have to much of a mechanical sound to them. the imperfection of human screw ups just can’t be faked and i like the imperfections
I don’t know I like the idea of something that is almost like a sax, breath controller, with motion controller zone above a mesh fretboard, strips on the back and gyros lol that would be the hit.
Still have to find that thing one the light controller, or maybe it was plasma like that distortion box,hmmmmm. Ah if civilizations falls tomorrow there are only two things i will miss - central heat and air, and anything to do with music
The second renaissance is happening here and now and something like 80% of my country is completely missing it. smfh a closed mind is a terrible affliction indeed, i get people all the time telling me there is no good music these days - to which i look at them as if they are barking mad.
My roommate for the love of god in the year ive known her has really only listened to one rapper - the one that did that wet pussy song sigh. mere words cannot express how very sick of that
artist’ I am.
tried to find any rappers at all i could work with and one but he seems to have flaked off somewhere chasing the sack, or jail or dead all 3 are equally likely in this neighborhood. Come a day hollywood and washington will answer for their crimes. Anyway i have to get back to loading my m1 for mastering and start getting ready to pump out some finished songs gentlemen.
Probably be a minute before i get back, but ill probably have all kinds of interesting new ideas, lost my ass in crypto - doubled down on a bet that pays pretty darned well - enough to make my $$$$ back and order a pair of mi.mus. Still up in the air but if it pays then I am celebrating, if it doesnt well shrug what can you do? win some loose some
happy memorial day folks, remember freedom isn’t free and anybody thinks they could have went to vietnam without killing some women and children wasn’t listening to the vets stories - veterans always deserve the utmost respect from those that didnt have to be there.