Working setup for Linnstrument and Ableton Live 11?

Hey,

I’ve had this strange issue since forever. Everything works perfectly well when I have:

1. A midi track armed
  2. I play Linnstrument to Ableton Live (11.3.11) connected with usb
  3. Output that midi to my audio / midi interface and midi DIN from there to an active midi splitter, which forwards it to synth. No issues at all.

But when I record midi clip with everything set the same. The midi output gets slowed down somewhere and it lags behind other playback. Also midi clock starts lagging.

With softsynths I don’t have any issues.

If you have a working system with Linnstrument, Ableton Live 11 and an MPE synth connected to computer. Can you please tell me what synth, midi interface and computer you are using?

I’m with Macbook Air M1 and Behringer UMC404HD midi out to Micromonsta 2. Not working properly.

Has anyone countered similar issues with MPE?

And how to solve?

Thanks,

2 Likes

Hi, could you perhaps try it with (e.g. a demo version of) Bitwig - just to pinpoint whether it is the DAW?
I have unfortunately no experimence with Live. Previous versions were not optimal for MPE - as far as I heard, but I guess that has changed?

1 Like

Alright!

Maybe there has been an OS update or Ableton Live update that did something. Now when I power Micromonsta 2 from laptop and use USB midi, I do not have any problem sending X/Y/Z note info with multiple fingers, and midi clock stays solid on Micromonsta 2 end too! Previously when I tried,using USB midi didn’t work well.

Using USB for power and midi introduces lots of unwanted noise. Using Behringer HD400 between Micromonsta 2 and mixer reduces this to zero. I had even full live performance master bus chain at the end that increases loudness quite a bit.

Micromonsta 2 uses CC74 for filter cutoff, and if Linnstrument is not set to send CC74, Micromonsta 2 seems to default to, or receive 0 value for CC74 instead of 64. Ableton Live specific solution to this is to use “MPE Control”. This way presets sound the same with MPE mode enabled as without MPE.

System: Macbook Air M1 8gb, Macos Sonoma 14.2.1, Ableton Live 11.3.11

2 Likes

Hi,
I think I have the same issue with a simpler system. I am running Live 11.3.21 with a SWAM Cello plugin on a MBP running Sonoma 14.3 and it’s doing the same thing. Sounds fine while I play it but after recording (or using capture) the velocity is way off and it’s slowed down.
So, was there a solution?

1 Like

Nothing explicit, but generally hints about operating system and DAW updates.

@Concrete3vidence