EaganMatrix Module

The easy way to use an external controller with C’Mini is to plug it and the controller into a computer and run the Haken Editor. This not only provides an EganMatrix patch editor, but allows setting up external controllers, patch browsing and selection, and an interface to the macro and other global controls (like effect level).

I wanted a solution that didn’t involve a laptop, so I set up a Raspberry Pi with a small touch screen and wrote a Python program to interface and control the C’Mini. This got me into the nitty gritty of its MIDI implementation. Most of it is pretty well documented, like what CCs are used for macro controls, and the format(s)* of the patch change messages. What’s not documented at all is the patch load/dump format, parts of which I managed to reverse engineer for my purposes – most notably, I wanted to be able to see a patch’s name and voice count. So from the touch screen I can select a patch, and see/alter the values of the macro controls.

*: (One format basically handles linear patch number 1–500 or so, and the other handles bank:number, but not using the standard MIDI messages.)

2 Likes

Thanks. That’s definitely further down the rabbit hole than I want to go. But impressive.

1 Like

Yea I got in touch with Haken and they said for my purpose of using an external mpe usb controller the functionality is basically the same.

2 Likes

I’ve just realised this is also true for the Osmose… it also doesn’t have any audio input…
doh, I really didn’t need any more temptation on this :wink:

one thing, Im trying to get my head around more generally here is…
what benefit does the Eagan Matrix gain from being within Eurorack… or more specifically, how does CV (input) control benefit it?

what’s your thoughts?

for me…

• a non-eurorack useful feature, is being able to hook up another mpe controller, the Erae Touch is staring at me begging :wink:

• w/x/y/z
    are these considered an ‘extra voice’ for a patch , or offsets for all voices? Im guessing the former, so that your modular could play a voice - which could be fun, albeit monophonic…
    I think perhaps most fun I can see here is with the audio input…

• i-iv
    almost feels like this is where its at … having your rack modulating a racks parameters.
    I know these are at ‘control rate’, but Id hope/assume these are going to be high resolution (10+ bit+) rather than 7 bit midi (though perhaps barrels support 14 bit midi ?) - either way, modulating/syncing from your rack is always going to add some interesting possibilities.

still no news on when orders (esp, in EU) might be completed?
It appears Schneidersladen (and I guess other EU suppliers) want the payment now for pre-orders, so feels kind of pointless if we are months away from shipping.

and frankly, if its not going to turn up before my Osmose (which Im guessing will be Dec/Jan), then Id probably wait till I’ve played with that… and see how that pans out with with my other MPE controllers.

1 Like

You can casually sequence its parameters independently, with whatever control sources you might have available.

It’s considered the primary control layer for a monophonic voice.

(We’re projecting polyphonic use cases, because that’s who we are. But that’s the part considered “extra”.)

Exactly. Human control through w/x/y/z, additional inputs (sidechains, LFOs, sequences, S&H, etc) through i-iv.

(You have an SSP, so you can already experiment with that idea. It’s fun; I can confirm that much.)

I believe those are paraphonic controls.
They can probably be configured within a given patch to route to individual voices, but they’ll be more useful and predictable the other way.

The barrels aren’t a bottleneck. At that point of entry, what’s received is an analog control voltage. Bits aren’t a consideration until you hit the DAC. (And then, you’re dealing with floating point numbers at whatever precision it’s able to reliably produce. I wouldn’t expect noticeable stepping, but 10+ bits might be unrealistic.)

I guess the key here’s that MIDI is converted to whatever they’re interpreting CV as. CV is never translated back to MIDI.

1 Like

To someone considering the EaganMatrix rack, here are my ideas, based on using the Continuum:

If I were to get this module, I’d either set up a controller, or a generative sequencer and some modulation, as my CV source, and use the EaganMatrix rack first as a mono voice. I’d start with:

-Pitch CV to EaganMatrix x input
-Timbre CV to y
-Volume CV to z, envelope or continuous pressure not velocity
-Gate to w

And then I’d just start flipping thru presets on the rack, with the editor open on a laptop (in the now-default simplified “performance view” rather than the full complex matrix view that you see in most videos). i-iv inputs will be quite different for every patch, but it’s usually pretty self explanatory between the labeling and patch notes in the editor (which is live, so if you change a preset on the hardware, or an input changes value, you’ll see it reflected in the editor immediately).

Then, when I found a preset I liked, I’d glance at the editor to see which synth parameters the inputs i-iv are controlling for that preset (and how they’re scaled, are they continuous values or discreet steps etc. In the default simplified editor view, this is very straightforward info to parse), and then I’d try plugging some appropriate sources for those functions into the i-iv inputs.

Then, I’m thinking there will be a bank of audio processing presets arranged especially for the module, so I’d try those using an external Euro voice that’s patched into the EM rack’s analog audio inputs. I’d keep my favorite x, y, z & w sources patched in for this. My starter arrangement, suggested at the top, is just my idea of an “init” setup, but xyzw can be assigned to everything in the matrix, including to act on the audio inputs.

And then, I’d open up the full matrix view of the editor, and explore modifying existing presets, and then making my own.

Anyway, based on the Continuum, that’s my mental model for how I’d proceed with the rack, if I didn’t have the Continuum. I don’t see a need for both at this time, though I’d rather have the rack’s analog vs the Continuum’s digital audio inputs.

On some patches it’s really nice to smoothly vary the y input in just the right way that brings out the acoustic instrument quality of the sound. On another patch x and y together make up a harmonic layout, so y is mapped out as discreet harmonics of each x value, while x is still continuous pitch spectrum. There is a patch where y sends one of only two values, switching at its midpoint. There’s a patch where x isn’t assigned to pitch. There are patches where z does volume and brightness and who knows what else. There are patches that sound completely different depending upon whether you play z (or sequence it) with a percussive envelope shape vs a smooth and gentle touch. I mean it’ll sound like a drum if you finger drum it, and it’ll sound like a stringed instrument if you ease into it, on the same preset. So, it’s not as simple as x means this, y means that, always the same. And even when they do mean what they often mean, the shape and scale of the CV can make a patch sound like a 2 different patches. So, if you switch controllers or a different sequencer, even if you keep the same assumptions (x=pitch, z=volume shape etc), you might wonder why your patch sounds different. That’s probably why.

The EaganMatrix manual is available via download from the Haken Audio website. The descriptions of the synthesis modules are an interesting read. It’s not the most comprehensive manual - but it’s a pretty unusual synth. There is a basic subtractive architecture available through the matrix, and you can stick to very basic control formulas, if you want to be boring. Or you could use a simulated mouth for formants - that’s there too. Speaking of which, I’ve said enough for now.

2 Likes

Got a shipping notice today for my module. Woohoo!

1 Like

oh, wow, Im jealous!

is this direct from Haken?

Ive been keeping an eye out on Schneidersladen (as I need an EU distributor)
but still no date !

Yes. Direct from Haken.

1 Like

And here it is…

5 Likes

come on … we need sound :slight_smile:

1 Like

…and waves and noises, and music!!

I’ll shoot some video later today or tomorrow.

3 Likes

Well here’s me noodling around with a few presets. Roli connected in Eagan editor on a PC. Additional modulation cv from the joystick. Camera audio. No, I am not Loopop.

Eagan Matrix Module

5 Likes

Modulation with CV is way better than trying to use MIDI. There is seemingly no slewing on the MIDI control of the macros. Very coarse-no interpolation.

1 Like

can you use 14 bit midi?

Not that I have found. The MPE response is fine, it’s just the MIDI control of the other realtime controls. In a way the MIDI implementation is spartan. Destination CC numbers are preset. They did recently add MIDI program & bank change to the spec. I will try a MIDI to CV converter and report back. As this is their first time making an instrument without an integrated controller, I am not surprised that the MIDI implementation is minimal.

yeah, though I guess… its kind of assumed if your using this eurorack module, then CV is going to be your thing :wink:

I guess my expectations are the line of…
being able to use with MPE controllers and get nice smooth results… (albeit I expect tweaking as all MPE controllers are different)
being able to use CV to get smooth modulation.

for the rest, I guess the rest of midi, it’d be more to just to dial in sound parameters rather than modulation… though still, some slew/smoothing would be nice.