Expression on Striso

On the subject of the internal sound. The 2014 paper on the Striso says:

The sound of the Striso is inspired by a string, where you
can both have natural decay, when plucking or hammering,
or a sustained note, with other actuation like bowing or
resonating with an amplifier

Does anyone know to what extent has this already been achieved? How feasible is it, given the current understanding of the problem, and hardware/software involved?

-Frank

@fkberthold Thanks for raising the question, it’s been a while ago that I wrote that paper. The basic idea is there, the current sound is a combination between decaying and constantly actuated, controlled by all the different parameters from the buttons and motion sensor. I’ve used physical modelling in the first version, but found that hard to control, so went for a filtered oscillator approach later.
There’s still many things I’d like to try and improve in the synthesizer, but as that’s more of a creative process it doesn’t combine well with the current phase of production and solving more practical issues.

There’s also interesting physical implementations to get a similar combination, like the magnetic resonator piano, or the ebow for guitars.

2 Likes

Did you end up sticking with Faust as your main tool for creating the synthesizer?

Yes, I did. I love the way Faust gives a same kind of signal flow feeling like Max/MSP, PureData or Axoloti, while at the same time making it easier to enter more complex functions.

3 Likes