Expressive E and the Osmose in 2024

In terms of Expressive E’s own presence at NAMM, I didnt really notice any formal videos of them announcing anything in particular at NAMM this year. I did see an informal video where someone walking round the show happened to ask Christopher some questions at one point during a very long youtube stream, and from that it sounded like their priorities in terms of Osmose development were to improve the presets system, and offer users a way of managing presets from a computer using an app that isnt the Haken editor app. And as usual they acknowledged that a better editor for the synth engine is on the list of priorities, but is a significant undertaking.

3 Likes

If it is not too much trouble to find that informal video again, it would be interesting to get a link to it!

1 Like

If someone wants an app to manage presets other than the Haken Editor, there is my VCV Rack plugin: Announcing pachde (#d) HC-One beta

Doesn’t have quite everything people want, but it’s quite useful. I’m getting ready to release it to the Rack library - just buttoning up docs and a little more testing.

3 Likes

I wasnt sure if I could find it again but I did. Dont expect too much, it was just an informal chat and there was some confused questioning about MaxForLive/lack of Max knowledge in there, along with some failure to detect sarcasm about Windows which didnt exactly help the conversation to flow:

Sadly you probably wont learn anything beyond what I already described earlier so I dont recommend actually watching the video but here it is anyway.

Go to the 26 minutes 41 seconds stage of this video:

1 Like

On watching it again, beyond what I already said there was a hint about adding more modules to the engine but theres no detail and that could mean a number of different things, and they dont want to be bullish about timescales. Its clear they are well aware of limitations to the user experience of the editor, but a better librarian/preset system is first on the agenda.

Haken progress is painfully slow, Im still waiting for the thing that lets you load your own ‘sample turned into additive bank’ (my dodgy wording) thing that someone involved with that (not-Osmose-specific) side of things first mentioned years ago.

1 Like

Since I mentioned the additive stuff I may as well link to some examples. But I have no idea if the tool to make your own will actually come out this year, they have been farting around with this stuff for years without, it seems, any commercial pressure to actually release something useable.

And these videos arent exactly polished demos.

The Continuucon talk about this is the typical deep nerdy stuff. I think there are some actual demos of some patches using it when you get past the half hour mark, though these particular demos are very much not Osmose specific and arent designed with the Osmose playing surface in mind at all:

And there is this earlier one which is in French (I dont speak that language) but gives you a glimpse of the prototype tool and some different sound demos:

I expect most Osmose owners dont currently even know this feature even exists (and that all we are missing is the converter/importer), further reducing any commercial pressure to actually release something. Most Osmose owners will only know about this if they’ve ever had patches such as Additive Choir failing to make any noise, and had to be told where to find the obscure ‘Remake QSPI Data’ option in the Haken editor to get it working. Because that patch uses the existing ‘additive bank’ thats been included, and used by some Eaganmatrix patches, since that feature was first added to the engine, well before the Osmose first came out.

Anyway I should certainly have used the term resynthesis when I mentioned this feature.

1 Like

A web search for ‘Mahling phrase’ (which was used to create the data thats already been included since this feature was added to the engine) reveals an existing thread right here on this very forum:

And an Osmose patch someone made for people to use to test that this data is on their Osmose properly, and to explore it in a way that factory Osmose presets dont:

1 Like

Progress has pretty slow on these things. It is a small group of people working on it, and most of them have other jobs. I think Christophe is the one working on the spectral set software, and he’s been very busy with le Voix de Luthier, a gig with Hans Zimmer for Dune 2, etc.

I do think the pace will pick up a little. Lippold retired from the University not long ago to devote more time to EM/Continuum development.

I have a preview of some of the changes in the next firmware coming before Continuucon and there some new things in there specifically in support of custom spectral sets. That doesn’t mean the feature will be complete then, but it is progress

2 Likes

Thank you for digging it up! :slight_smile:

It was relevant information to me and it is always good to hear it oneself to interpret the information. I am very interested in what changes may happen to preset management and editor - and on what platforms - so I really apprected it.

Regarding the resynthesis, it was discussed quite at length by Haken Audio during Superbooth 2021 so I kind of anticipated it to show up not too long after the introduction of the EMM. Since then, though, I have understood it is probably better to just sit back an look forward to it with curious patience.

The link is to a perfromance/lecture from the fair and around 17 minutes into the video Edmund Eagan plays the Continuumini/EMM with custom sample resynthesized in real-time, with Rob Schwimmer on Osmose. I think it is the most clear use of it I have heard yet!

(13) Haken Audio & La Voix du Luthier – SUPERBOOTH21 Gesprächskonzert (lecture concert) - YouTube

3 Likes

And so the first collaboration has been revealed. KiloHearts.

2 Likes

it’s a good deal… Phase Plant & the 4 preset bundles for 99 euros…

fyi: Phase Plant lists at 199 usd retail, but can often be had for ~99usd, sometimes with sound packs

I’ll be playing with it tonight :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah I probably nearly bought it under offer in the past but something else always got ahead in my purchase queue. Now Im glad I waited. Just bought it, very excited to try it in a little while. Am deliberately teasing myself by watching various Phase Plant videos first.

I’ll be using the same controllers they used in their demo videos, Push 3 and Osmose. WIll be interesting to see how they tackled the sound design devilish details we touched upon in regards different controllers earlier in this thread.

I see they are chucking around a “MPE EE certified” logo in the parketing for this pack too. Probably mostly a gimmick for marketing purposes but if it helps some of the less technical Osmose users who were in the past confused about Expressive E’s offerings and MPE/expressivity, I wont complain. Especially if the amount of preset pack options for various synths that carry that logo grows in future.

1 Like