Hello, Hallo, Salut, Ciao thread

Hi Martin. If you’re contemplating selling your Pico I may be willing and able to help you :grin:

1 Like

Hi Abraham - I’m interested :slight_smile: one of the reasons I’ve put it off is the difficulty of finding appropriate people on places like ebay! I looked for an option to DM you on this forum, but can’t see it - have I missed it?

1 Like

In your personal profile you have messages
https://community.polyexpression.com/u/martin/messages

hope this helps :wink:

1 Like

Ahah - thanks! I knew it must be there somewhere :slight_smile:

2 Likes

bare in mind users have to have reached trust level 1 (basic user) to be able to send private messages… (you can see this on your profile)
(you just need to have read a few posts on the forum to get to this level)

2 Likes

Hello, Ruben Dari here,… I had super high hopes form MPE when I first got an eigennharp pico after I saw this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH5M0ap5PV8. … cant believe its almost been ten years… I use ipads and ableton to make music mostly, but I also have some roli stuff and many MPE friendly VSTs, … excited to be a part of this community. thanks to everyone who help set this up. (Mark)

6 Likes

Hello all you fellow gear heads and creative peeps~
I am brand new to this forum and was lead hear in pursuit of possibly acquiring an Eigenharp Pico and gathering/sharing info for all things poly expression related…

I am a full-time Musicianer specializing in melodic percussion. My instruments range from various hand percussions to handpan (hang) drums. I often use software (Ableton) to enhance my live sets. I currently have a Roland Handsonic, midi keyboard and am looking to add an EWI.

I look forward to growing in this community together and thank those who have paved the way.

Everything is Rhythm,
Abraham :call_me_hand:
((prior recording projects linked below))

5 Likes

Hi

I’m David, Spanish. I used to play fretless bass but I stopped when I moved to Denmark 20 years ago.

A couple of years ago I became interested in music again and tried different solutions: el-bass (but I wanted to play alone); keyboards (but I didn’t “see” the notes)… and finally the Linnstrument which I bought in the first place for the layout (I can definitely “see” the notes).

Eventually I’m beginning to understand a little bit about MIDI and MPE and seeing the possibilities in it.

My setup is as simple as it gets: iPad (AUM, Animoog, effects…) + Linnstrument + headphones (or speakers). Sometimes I use the Mac (Aalto is by far my favourite sound generator) but Logic Pro is just too complicated for my needs.

At the moment I’m getting used to the Linnstrument and to play again and I hope to be able to complete a few tracks and “remember” how to improvise.

Looking forward to taking part in the conversation.

6 Likes

I’ve been pursuing polyphonic aftertouch and continuous pitch controllers for decades. I’ve bought and sold so many things I probably can’t remember them all.

• Had an Ensoniq SQ-1 years ago but didn’t find it very expressive.
  • Bought a used Prophet T-8 but never got it to work properly. A T-8 that had been restored and was in perfect condition is my gold standard but they wanted $9000 for it.
  • I love the TC-11 iOS soft synth but can’t control it very well.
  • The Animoog virtual keyboard is nice but too small.
  • Couldn’t make sense of the Artiphon.
  • Couldn’t control the Eowave Ribbon very well.
  • Couldn’t control the Roli 49 very well. I think it would have been more playable without the “waves.” Equator is very nice.
  • I liked the LinnStrument 128 enough to upgrade to the big one. I’ve tried a bunch of software synths with it, most of them don’t seem to be able to do a smooth swell up from zero based on pressure. So far the one I can get the most expression out of is the Minimoog Model D.
  • The Micromonsta was expressive but that little LCD and no USB MIDI or headphone jack and all the cables it needed made it too much of a pain.
  • My old iPad 2 could not run the latest soft synths so I upgraded to a 12.9-inch iPad Pro 3rd Gen. As nice as it was (especially for the iFretless instruments), the single USB-C port with no headphone jack was a deal-breaker, so I swapped it for an entry-level model, which is great for practicing since the battery’s strong enough to power the LinnStrument for quite a while.
  • Dumped Live due to its MPE-hostile MIDI implementation. Currently using Logic but looking for something geekier.
5 Likes

Hey everyone,

It took me a minute to follow up on Mark’s invite, thanks for sending me one!

Looking forward to be part of this community, though I might not be very responsive due to having too many projects on my plate.

My name is Geert Bevin, I’ve worked on the MPE spec, the Eigenharp, the LinnStrument, Geco MIDI, the Moog iOS apps, the latest Moog hardware synths and my new Apple Watch app MidiWrist.

Take care!
Geert

15 Likes

Hello, Cuckoo here.
I play synth on YouTube. One of my long time favourites being the Continuum Fingerboard.

10 Likes

hey @Cuckoo, welcome … just seen your video from Thomann with @NightMachines (Felix) , looked like a lot of fun!

2 Likes

Hi, I’m Matt, from South West France
I play around with synths and try to make music (and some videos).
I’ve spent the last few years mainly playing around with the Axoloti board as principal sound source.
I have a Roli seaboard blocks and a prototype “strisoboard” as MPE controllers, and I mainly use the axoloti or ipad as sound module for them. I’m also waiting for the ContinuuMini to arrive and looking forward to exploring it’s synthesis engine.
I’m slowly starting my adventure into eurorack too, as well as spending much to much time with VCV Rack.
Thanks Mark for inviting me here, and pleased to see a few familiar faces.

7 Likes

Hello everybody. My name is Mike Metlay. I’ve spent the last 40 years dealing with exactly this topic, as a writer, editor, developer, musician, and critic. i’ve got a PhD in nuclear physics that I don’t use anymore, and until a month ago I was the Editor of RECORDING Magazine, a pro audio title in the United States. i’m still on the staff, but I’m now part time and extending my interests more deeply into the electronica side of things.

If you’ve ever heard of the book PUSH TURN MOVE, I was one of the Editors, and I wrote the last section (TIME). That was the book that I always wanted to write myself, and it was a great privilege for me to work with Kim on getting it out the door.

Before the explosion of MPE, it was easy for me to say that I have either owned or worked with nearly every synthesizer and controller in history that was designed for deeper expression than the usual velocity and pressure. I still miss my Prophet T8 and Riday T-61.

These days, my primary focus is not only on MPE performance surfaces, but also on new and innovative ways to return left hand controls to all the instruments that seem to not want them anymore.

I have a KMI K-Board Pro 4 and QuNexus, two loaded Joués, an Artiphon Instrument 1, a Sensel Morph, and a Lightpad Block. I got rid of my Seaboard Block and Linnstrument 128 not long ago. Leaving MPE and moving into the more conventional world, I have two CME Xkeys, a Launchpad Pro, a Push 2, and a couple of actual keyboard type keyboards with keys and everything. I work in macOS and iOS.

All of these toys mean nothing without people playing them. Of all of my accomplishments, the one I am most proud of is bringing electronic musicians together to create music and build friendships. I have been very lucky to have met and worked with a huge number of creative and worthwhile people over the decades, and I look forward to being able to interact with all of you here as well.

I do not collect synthesizers. I collect synthesists.

It’s very good to meet you all. Ask me anything; if I don’t know the answer, I’ll help you find it.

9 Likes

Hi everyone, Linnstrument owner here based in the Peak District in the UK. I got into making music as a teenager using Trackers on my Amiga computer; sampling and sound design has always been my primary interest and I have no formal music training on any instrument. I bought the Linnstrument to finally learn an instrument and improve my understanding of music theory.

Renoise has been my main DAW for many years and more recently I am using Bitwig. I am particularly interested in sound design based on sample manipulation and I find MPE controllers well suited to this. I look forward to being a part of the community here!

7 Likes

I actually still have an Amiga and ProTracker, but haven’t used it in ages. Really miss it, though. You probably already know this, but just in case you haven’t had a look at it yet: The Elektron Octatrack is basically a hardware tracker made by people from the old tracker scene. I absolutely love mine. It feels very much like how it was to create music on the Amiga, only with lots of unique, new tricks up its sleeve as well.

4 Likes

I think that is the coolest and most concise description of the Octatrack I have ever seen! I never used trackers myself, but I have a number of good friends who still use them today. I’m going to have to bounce that analogy off of my Octatrack using friends to see what they think. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Kai I have an Octatrack already :grin: sadly I don’t get to play with it as much as I’d like… I didn’t know it came out of the tracker scene though, that’s so cool.

If you don’t know it already check out Renoise, it’s the best modern tracker out there and gives many a DAW a run for its money, it can also be scripted via a lua API if you are into that sort of thing…

4 Likes

Super Mega Fan of the Talents… efforts, the generosity of Geert and Mark, the impression that nothing could have advanced in my practice of the Alpha without them!

MERCIIIIIIIII amici. olivier

5 Likes

Hello to all, I am an instrumentalist & composer specialy for contemporary accordion and electronic music … I use the eigenharp alpha to compose music for dance, virtual reality, theater … I play live alpha for performances "Cine Concert /// free and experimental improvisations ; also combined with my acoustic instrument the Bayan (Russian Accordion) / i use “quietly” Ableton / Kontakt and a specialy personal samples but also ilya efimov vst & 8dio software instruments

as a teacher of MAO in conservatories near Paris…I show students on ipad the applications developed by Geert (the Moog iOS apps) & also GeoShred or Borderlands

5 Likes