MPE editing : which DAW is the best?

Hi MPE lovers,

I just had a Seaboard and wish to switch to a proper MPE capable DAW
I’ve seen a couple of videos about Cubase, Tracktion, Bitwig, Reaper etc… and it seems one of the major difference is being able to see / edit the expression of multiple notes Vs a single selected note. This last approach feels limited to me, but I wonder how problematic this really is.

Could you tell me about your experience there? what do you like / dislike about MPE editing in your DAW?

This topic has some insights :wink:

Thanks Keymanpal!
What I got from this is that there’s a bunch of "us "who just would rather re-record than edit. And no one trying to really sequence from scratch. Which I totally understand, but in my case I feel there’s still some situations where I’d like to fix mistakes that I can’t actually not play right, or experiment tweaks. I have a feeling that in Cubase for instance, this “one by one” note is annoying (isn’t it slow??). Curious to hear your thoughts!

1 Like

I don’t think I understand what you mean by «one-by-one» note editing, but for what it is worth, I think the way MPE is implemented in Cubase is very good.

Cubase has always taken pride in being the best DAW for midi editing, which is probably why they have put effort into their MPE implementation as well.

1 Like

Thanks Kai. By “one by one note” I mean I have to select a note to see its envelopes, and can only see / edit one note at a time. As opposed as in Bitwig where the envelopes are visible for all notes(which also seem to allow to tweak the envelopes of several notes at the same time).

Ah! Hmm, it is not very visual, true. Fixing a small mistake here and there is quick and easy to do, but I don’t know about more serious editing. I haven’t used it enough to form a proper impression on the workflow yet, but now I am curious as well. :slight_smile: Out travelling atm, but I’ll try to give it a go this weekend and report back.

My experience is
Bitwig is the easiest to use, setup and well integrated.
Cubase is more flexible, but a little more complex to use.

Thanks for your feedback technobear - just : what is “more flexible” in Cubase ?

Couple of things
It’s not limited to cc74
Editing of mpe data is a bit more flexible - you can scale it, and bend it a bit. Bitwig is pretty much moving individual points which with a lot of data a bit tedious.

That’s said I really like bitwig for its other features (clips, the grid, modulators) , Cubase has better mixer - so I’m not sure if mpe editing would be the main decision maker for me.

Sorry, what is this cc74 limitation?
For the rest, that makes a lot of sense. Right, so in Cubase everything is about “drawing” then shaping from what I understand, as in Bitwig this is about dealing with thousands of breakpoints. Which might be cumbersome, I get it. Hummm.
And to come back to my previous question, since you seem to have played with both : do you sometime end up feeling limited by this “one note at a time” edition in Cubase?

Not at my computer at the moment , and not played with it for a while - so this is from memory :slight_smile:

Cubase records any CC # per channel, bitwig only cc74 - but not usually an issue since that’s all that most mpe controllers need.

One by one note.
I guess you mean the fact that Cubase has the curves overlaid directly onto the notes. Where as bitwig has it in a separate window at the bottom.

I prefer Cubase approach , its clearer to me.

Guess it depend how much editing your planning on doing , but personally I’d go for whichever daw suits you best.

One thing to bare in mind , bitwig has better mpe support for its internal instruments than Cubase.

Important note … I’m still on Cubase 9 , and I think 10 has changed a bit.

I’ve not upgraded, because , as mentioned on other thread , I mostly still use Ableton Live.
( which is also perhaps why bitwig feels ‘easier’ to me)