Notes on Striso triggering twice with single press

There are a few notes on my Striso board that trigger twice (i.e. two “note-on” messages) even though I only press the key once. I’ve tried adjusting the sensitivity, but it either doesn’t fix the problem, or only fixes it for a few days.

Should I send my Striso back? Or is the double triggering fixable with a firmware update?

Thanks for reporting your issue. It’s probably fixable with a firmware update. Does the extra note-on message happen on release? Or only on very short notes?

The extra note-on message appears to happen mainly on release.

EDIT: scratch that—it happens exclusively on release of the key.

@pierstitus

Thanks again for the new configuration editor! How should I change the values of “fCfac…” and “fCoff…” for the notes that trigger a second time on release?

Just curious about this device. Does it have a non-zero velocity with note off? Some software might be janky and interpret it as a separate note trigger.

@floen I’ve implemented a retrigger delay to stop double triggers more effectively without reduced sensitivity. Please test the attached firmware and let me know if it solves all double triggers.
striso_control_2022-07-04_v2.1.5-2-g537b336.uf2 (269.5 KB)

@Photon The note off messages have non-zero velocity, if that’s a problem ever it wouldn’t be a big effort to make an option to only send zero.

Awesome. So if I understand correctly, all I need to do is test with the new firmware, without changing the calibration values.

Indeed, the calibration values are not very effective against double triggers.

Oh, certainly not a problem. It’s indeed a desireable feature. I just seem to remember having a bizarre double-trigger behavior in the past with another controller and realized it was because the software didn’t properly handle note off velocity. It’s very unlikely to be the case here, but it was a chance to offer a possible solution and get some info on the Striso :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@pierstitus

The new v2.1.5-2 firmware did not fix the double triggers. It looks like if I pause playing for a bit and press the troublesome key a few times, the first one to three key presses don’t double trigger, but after that, all presses double trigger. The cycle repeats when I pause and then play again.

@pierstitus

Did you find the time to dig a bit deeper into the double triggers? I think my Striso is defective, since no other Striso owner is mentioning this problem.

Did you try setting velocity to 0 on note off to make sure it wasn’t your software? I know, not the helpful comment you’re looking for, but I am still curious. :slight_smile:

Thank you for your help again Photon :slightly_smiling_face:. Unfortunately, I don’t see an option in the configuration tool to set the note off velocity to zero. Perhaps @pierstitus can let us know how it’s done.

1 Like

I just noticed another issue with my Striso board. Another key is now double triggering, but this time, the second note-on message upon release is a higher note (a major second I believe)!

The double triggering in this case is much less frequent but still happens 5 - 10 times while I am playing.

As a still-new Striso (and MIDI/MPE) user, I am finding wonderful combinations with the Striso, and my existing synth apps, like ThumbJam, Roli, and GeoShred. But often, when I think I have “just the sound I want” I am surprised by the extra notes. Most often, they are an octave up or down, it seems. And sometimes I think they are more common if one of the instruments I have active is a “low range” SWAM or Naada instrument. But, if there’s some “software switch” you tech-savvy folks know about, and can share, I will appreciate it. Now that I think. of it, it really does happen more with Geo stuff, and I guess I imagine that’s somehow a function of all that modern horsepower…But what do I know?

It just hit me that I should find a repeatable multi-note spot (key button and synth) and right away switch to the QueNexus, and see if it happens with that. At least that would show it’s Striso-specific, and not synth-specific?

This happened all the time for me. Some notes were more likely than others. I used a brute force solution, because the extra notes were ruining every recording I attempted. This has left my board pretty stiff, requiring a lot more pressure to play notes, but if you take the time to fine tune it, hopefully you’ll have better results.

Plug the board into your computer while holding the button with a square around it – this will let it connect as a “removable (USB) device.” Click on it (on my Chromebook, I have to open “Files” to see it), and it should have a number of files. Double click on “CONFIG.HTM” and it will open the Striso configuration editor in a new tab/window. Go to the Calibration Tab.

It says on that page “When certain keys are randomly triggering a threshold/offset (off) can be added (between 0.0 and 0.1 should be enough).” I tried only setting the offset of certain notes, and tried fine tuning how much offset I gave them (from 0.03 to 0.1), but I got frustrated with having to do this whole thing so many times, that I gave up and set all of them to 0.1 (from “fCoffF_1” through “fCoffB_4”, or the bottom 61 values). Setting them all to 0.1 is overkill, but I finally stopped getting random notes, and I’m happy enough with it. Do what seems worth it to you. Maybe start with this extreme but simple approach, and then if it works, experiment with lowering values, knowing you can always go back.

Then hit the “Save configuration” button near the top of the page, and you will download a “CONFIG.UF2” file (note: if you’ve done this before, it will name it “CONFIG (1).UF2” or whatever number – this won’t make a difference, but will let you easily go back to a previous version you’ve saved). Finally, drag the newest CONFIG.UF2 file from your downloads into the Striso USB device (it make auto-disconnect and give you the “Don’t do that!” message, but it’s fine).

At this point, you should be solid. The keys make take more force to trigger, but you shouldn’t get any more random notes.

Let me know if you have any more questions. Anyone, feel free to correct any mistakes I’ve presented, since many others may check this as time goes on.

1 Like

Thanks @colpitts for your question and @BaronTwentyhooks for your explanation.

The default touch sensitivity is set to be most sensitive, which is good for the internal synth, in which the extra notes are not noticeable due to the low volume. Also on synths that use velocity and aftertouch for volume it is less of an issue and you can enjoy the sensitivity fully. On synths that don’t use velocity and aftertouch, or use them for other things than volume the extra notes are a problem because you can hear them even though they have very low velocity and aftertouch values. In this case the trigger threshold should be increased.

The trigger threshold (also called offset) can be changed in a number of places,

1. On the board itself with settings + Gb3. Each tap up increases the threshold with 0.04 (1/256). This is easiest but needs to be done again after each power up.
  2. In a preset: This is the preferred solution. When this way the default threshold can stay low, while for example preset 2 could be used for external synths. Besides the threshold also other settings can be changed if wanted, like turning off aftertouch or changing the pitch bend sensitivity. A preset should be loaded after each power up.
  3. per key as @BaronTwentyhooks explained. This is meant for when a single note or a couple of notes are triggering erroneously. These are always used independent of the preset used. The downside of using this for all keys is that you cannot decrease the threshold quickly for synths where the low velocity notes are not a problem.
1 Like

Thanks, both @pierstitus and @BaronTwentyhooks, for your thorough replies. I am realizing how much I don’t know about controls, settings, and the like. I will get in and poke around, but I also believe that one of the coolest things about the Striso is that, so far, it is almost plug and play, in that I have played one since September and have not felt the need to change anything. I will get up the courage…but I am very fond of the extremely light touch it needs for playing at the default settings, and will need to be careful raising the pressure required.

hi, did you solve your issue? was it a defective unit?
Thanks!

I don’t know if it was a defective unit or not, since I returned it and decided to go back to a regular keyboard. Hopefully Piers is able to reduce the double triggers in future units as I think it’s still a wonderful instrument.