Printable Chord Diagrams

I made a printable chord diagram for the Linnstrument in fifths row mode: Linnstrument Chord Reference • Matthew Lyon

this is based off of some sketchnotes I made when I first got the Linnstrument. I’m thinking about making an interactive version that would let one specify their own row spacings.

3 Likes

Thank you Matt for contributing your LinnStrument 5ths string layout resources to Poly Expresssion. I appreciate them being easily accessible to web browsers due to Astro. For comparison, I chose to use the OpenDocument file format instead for my tritone layout resources, along with the Creative Commons Zero (CC0) license, because I want others to have the ability to freely use and edit them without permission.

I noticed you missing a somewhat common seventh chord, often notated as minor seventh flat fifth (m7♭5), which is used by Locrian mode from the diatonic scale, among others. There are many more seventh chords commonly used in a jazz context, but I will leave you to it to consider adding them on your own time.

Thanks for the reply; I hadn’t seen the email notification

So, I generally find technology boring, but since you brought it up: Astro is my site generator. This page was “generated” by Astro in the same way that manner that the post I’m writing right now was “generated” by Discourse. The underlying diagram is a statically-rendered interactive Web Component that I haven’t yet built an interface around. The original idea that I haven’t had time to implement yet was to allow for making the column interval dynamic, and even possibly applicable to guitar tunings. I’m developing that ‘in place’ in the private repository of my website and would extract the component into a separate repository to facilitate open sourcing it, probably under an anti-capitalist license, but life has given me other priorities lately.

Regarding OpenOffice, I haven’t had the need for “Office Suite” software in over twenty years, and, in attempting to get it running on a contemporary Mac, there is not only the 400MB download of the desktop software, but then also bypassing the macOS gatekeeper for unsigned binaries (something I am recommending my non-technical friends & family no longer do) and then the necessity of installing java, which the binary did not offer any tips for and the “easy” option includes spy/adware from Oracle. For whatever reason it doesn’t want to use the homebrew-installed version of java I use for working with Clojure. I ended up giving up on it after twenty minutes.

Regarding licensing, I’m still getting into making things like this and considering what I’m comfortable with. I’ve been making a lot of cheat sheets for myself for my modular system, and they’re not getting the same level of attention, but figuring out what licensing I’m comfortable with is something I’m going to have to think about.

1 Like

I look forward to your next update. If you want suggestions for anti-capitalist licenses, I did spot a few from The Coding Liberation Front that may work for you.

I used LibreOffice for writing my tritone documents because it relies on the ChordDiagrams extension by Kai Struck. Installing these two should allow you and everyone else to edit the documents without being subjected to spyware or adware since they are cross-platform, but I strictly use Linux for security reasons and have not tested whether OpenOffice or NeoOffice also works on other operating systems too.