Striso Duet Development

Hi… Just pre ordered a Duet. As, I understand, the Duet is currently still in development, I am wondering about the possibilities of mounting a mini rig speaker permanently within the instrument… whether arrangements for a mount might be included in the instrument and perhaps for a power pack if there is space… being as I am definitely a plug and play player rather than a computer/synth type player.

3 Likes

Hey,

Looking at the specs for the mini rig speaker that Piers mentioned, it looks like it will safely double as a power pack, since it says you can charge your phone off of it.

-Frank

2 Likes

Aah that’s useful to know… thanks Frank… so hopefully just a speaker mount required. I always play with the instrument on my knee so perhaps an opening in the top of the instrument in lieu of the neck strap connection point… or the front of the instrument as in Didie’s prototype to allow sound egress?.. it’d be nice to have that opening manufactured in rather than having to diy it.

Vincent

3 Likes

Thanks for your order!
Indeed, there will be a velcro strap to hold the speaker into place. Behind is space for a power bank, or the Minirig can be used for power. Here I have the Minirig 3, the Minirig 4 should work even easier as it can be turned on with the power button (instead of by inserting the mini jack)

The front is a separate piece that you can leave out to improve the sound.

I’m still doubting if it’s useful to have USB-B, but I think I’ll go for just USB-C.

Piers

5 Likes

Thanks Piers… good to know and see that… Yes perhaps even some Dutch acoustically transparent mesh might be appropriate on the front?!:blush:

3 Likes

Hi Piers,

I was one of those people who couldn’t understand why you’d use USB B years ago when USB C was becoming a convenient universal standard.

I understand now.

After 2 years of heavy use and wear, I have no problems with my Striso’s power. While it’s unconventional and requires an extra cable, I really wouldn’t have it any other way at this point.

-Frank

1 Like

I gather C better than B for sound reproduction but B certainly a more robust plug…hopefully not a micro C which seem to be so easily mashed. So perhaps it will depend on the function… If power supply, I’d agree B preferable. Have one on my audio interface and very reliable.

1 Like

I’ve been pondering this question recently…

Is there a “Micro C”…? I haven’t come across that before. There’s Micro USB, which looks like this…

…and I’m a bit dubious about the strength and durability of that. USB B is kind of the gold standard in terms of USB connectivity…

…and USB-C I don’t really know about, though it seems to be the new standard. In terms of audio quality, I’d have assumed they were the same. (?)

1 Like

I think your micro is technically micro C… someone may correct me on this. As you say, also in my experience not durable and difficult to use. I really dislike this type. USB B much more durable. I don’t have experience of durability of USB C.

1 Like

Hmm, that pic has two Micro C’s and missing micro A. Micro(x) of course just isn’t going to be as robust as something larger. So far what few standard USB C devices I’ve had are surviving better than previous USB connections, and the user experience has been better (always works on the first try, not 3 tries like USB A), but time will tell.

1 Like

For reference, Wiki identifies this type as Micro-B, and there’s also a Micro-A I’ve never seen.

1 Like

Anyway… perhaps we’ve established minis and micros are not the preferred options for longevity!

2 Likes

After comparing them again, I’m tending towards USB-B rather than USB-C myself. Feels more rugged and secure to me.

4 Likes

Roger Linn also agrees.

1 Like

As a long time Android phone user, USB C has become the standard… and is generally the first thing to break on the phone. It’s a fantastic standard if you’re ok with disposable electronics, it allows for very thin devices, but that doesn’t really seem to be a technical requirement here.

1 Like

It is probably too late in the development cycle to request this, but how about adding load sensors between the two sides. The load sensor(s) would adjust the volume depending upon the pressure of the push or pull between the two sides. You would need to add hand straps as well.

This addition enable the Striso duet to emulate playing a Hayden duet. It is pretty close now but I think this would make it even more attractive to Hayden duet players like me.

Added later: I think that you already have built-in accelerometers - maybe these could be used to simulate bellows?

1 Like

Is there a technical reason why you could not have both USB-C and USB-B sockets wired in parallel?

Perhaps with a micro switch so that you could only use one at a time.

Or perhaps stow one of these inside the duet with the USB-B end glued down:

It is a USB C to USB B Printer Cable - available on Amazon.

1 Like

Re pressure switches… Possibly also to me, but perhaps with the option to switch out?

1 Like

AFAIK, pressure switches only indicate on/off whereas load cells are analog sensors that give a range of values for applied pressure, press or pull.

See: Load cell - Wikipedia

3 Likes

…yes, here’s a recent DIY MIDI bandoneon that uses that approach.

4 Likes